Offbeat Weddings
Options

Untraditionally Traditional

I don't know if I fit in here or not. Our wedding is formal and ceremony is taking place in a church, however our colors are dark and our theme is Baroque Enchantment. Our first dance will be Papa Roach's No Matter What. We aren't doing a big cake, opting for a cake topper and shot glass desserts. My Mother and FMIL both have said they don't like my bouquet, it's black and gray fabric flowers and brooches. I just want to know that it's okay to show this kind of vision. I am feeling lots of pull and negativity because our wedding has an "eerie" feel. 

Smack some confidence back into me that this is okay.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Untraditionally Traditional

• Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    If that's who you are and what you want, go for it.  Only the people paying for the wedding have any say in the details.
    Agree with PP, as long as you're hosting your guests properly, it doesn't matter if people like your colors or decor.
    If feedback is becoming a problem, stop sharing your wedding details.

ETA: Share the details with us!  We love it, especially the offbeat ideas. :)  That's what we're here for!
  • Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

No matter what type of wedding you have, someone will have an issue with it and would "never do that if it was MY wedding!" You decide to have a beach wedding, someone hates the sand and sun. You desire a small, family wedding and someone is mad that X person didn't get an invite. If you try to appease everyone by going the traditional route, then someone thinks it's too boring and unoriginal. If you have it on a Friday then you get told, "why isn't it on a Saturday?" If you have it on a Saturday afternoon it becomes "why isn't it Saturday night!" At the end of the day, is this the atmosphere and vibe the two of you want for your wedding day?

I agree with the PP regarding there are obviously certain etiquette rules that need to be addressed but things like colors, decorations, etc are completely up to the two of you! As long as your guests are hosted properly then everyone should have a great time at your wedding. 

People tend to get a specific idea or image of what a wedding is in their minds which is probably why you're getting some push back from your family. Hopefully when your mom and FMIL see how everything comes together on the day, they'll really enjoy themselves and not focus on, "omg is that a grey and black bouquet!"

I hope everything works out for you!
  • Options
    As the ladies already said, the important part is whether YOU like these elements. There is always going to be someone with an opinion... You could to the stereotypical diamonds and bling, white roses, flashy wedding and there would still be someone that would tell you something was wrong with it!
  • Options
    Baroque Enchantment sounds like a great theme. As long as you host your wedding properly and create a fun environment for everyone, your FMIL and your mom will be so caught up in the moment that they will forget their opinions about your wedding.
  • Options
    I apologize if someone commented about this already but brides and grooms these days need to remember that this is a celebration of THEIR union. As long as your guests are taken care of the colors, themes and music shouldn't be of concern for them. Let your personalities shine through! Now is the most appropriate time for that don't you think?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards