Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Blues

I am in several weddings over the course of the next 10 months. One wedding is in June 2013 and the bride chose a short, navy blue dress from David's Bridal for us to wear. We bought these dresses last May (2012). I have another wedding in October 2013 and the bride told us to pick whatever dress we wanted, as long as it was navy and that it was short. Since I already have the one bridesmaid dress that meets those qualifications, I was planning on just wearing that same dress. I asked the October bride if she would mind and she doesn't care, but the June bride freaked out and said that I shouldn't wear the same dress in another wedding because it would take away from her wedding "memories". She also seems to think that I am responsible for the other bride choosing the same color dress and told me that she would be highly offended if I chose to wear that dress again because she had chosen that dress "specifically to meet the visions for her special day" (We didn't get a say in our outfits at all, she just chose the dress and told us we needed to have it ordered). If it is of any importance, I am the only common factor between these two weddings. They aren't even in the same state.

So am I being unreasonable for not wanting to buy another short, navy blue dress? Would you be "highly offended" if one of your bridesmaids wore the same dress a few months later in a different wedding? 

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Blues

• Options
    keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    June bride is being ridiculous, you're paying for the dress, you can decide when you wear it and to where.
  • Options

This is ridiculous.  Of course you can wear the dress. What did she expect you to do? Wear it then hang it in your closet forever to never wear again?  I would just wear it and not bring it up again.

FWIW, my MOH wore her dress to a formal event the week before my wedding.  I didn't care at all.

• Options
    Definitely crazy. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    bbbb78bbbb78 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Smile, nod, re-wear dress and if she has a problem months after her wedding that you are rewearing the dress administer one of these
  • Options

Why did you even bother saying anything to the June bride?  You bought the dress so it is your property to do whatever the hell you want with it.

Ignore June bride and enjoy the fact that you don't have to spend any money on another dress.

• Options
    I would be so happy if one of my BMs had the opportunity to wear their dress again! Definitly don't purchase another dress.... I would THINK that 4 months after her wedding the June bride will be over all the craziness a wedding may bring out in someone.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh, FFS. The June bride has reached new levels of bat-shit crazy. For all of the times I have been told, 'You can totally wear this dress again!' by a delusional bride who thinks I'm going to shorten a floor-length satin dress in robin's-egg blue, I'd be thrilled to finally find a dress I *COULD* wear again. Also, navy is one of the hottest wedding colors this season, so June bride is smoking some seriously good shit if she thinks she's the ONLY bride EVER in the WHOLE WORLD to want navy. (And I say this as a former bridesmaid who still has the navy blue dress I wore in a wedding last March).
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Wow. June bride is having some bridezilla brain.

It's officially your dress. Even if you could wear ANY dress (not just a short, navy one) for the second wedding, you'd be fine to wear this one. Most brides would feel RELIEVED that their bridesmaids had a reason to rewear their bridesmaids dresses. And not only that ... is she even gonna see that you wore the dress at the other wedding?

She's being super unreasonable. Just like bbbb78 said: smile and nod, and then wear the dress again without telling her anything.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    definitely just ignore June bride.  she's being ridiculous.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!

I thought she was being a bit on the loony side, but I just wanted to make sure! She's done some other interesting things (ex: bought us shoes without asking for our shoes sizes and shipped them to our houses sometime in January), so I figured she was being a bit over the top with this one as well.

As far as how she found out, we were at lunch and she asked what I had to wear for the other weddings. When I mentioned that the one only required navy and short, she asked if I was planning on wearing this dress and then her freak-out ensued.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

I almost chose a BM dress that one of my BMs already had from a previous wedding.  Ended up finding another dress at a mall store - not shopping for BM dresses - that all my girls loved, so that's the one we went with.  It is pretty and was plenty dressy enough for my wedding, but they truly could wear the dress again.  That was one of the main selling points for me.  June bride is being very unreasonable.  Don't bring it up again.  If JB brings it up again, just tell her that rewearing the dress as a BM in OB's wedding would be no different than if you wore it to a party.  It's your dress, and you have every right to wear it.  Especially considering there are no common guests, JB needs to GTF over it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards