Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Groom's Cake Question

FI's favorite is my pineapple upside-down cake, so I am thinking about making one as his groom's cake.  How large/small is a groom's cake supposed to be?  Do I need to have enough for everyone to have a slice of it?  We're doing a dessert buffet with mini cupcakes, cookies, and several other things, so there will be plenty of desserts to go around but we're not doing a traditional wedding cake - not sure if that makes a difference in how big the groom's cake should be?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Kim

Re: Groom's Cake Question

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Are you having a rehearsal dinner?  My daughter's FI loved her aunt's apple pie.  Auntie obviously could not make enough to offer to the entire guest list at the reception, so she made just enough to accommodate the guests at the rehearsal dinner.
  • Options
    I'm surprising my FI with a groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner - makes it much easier.

Honestly, I don't know if the groom's cake has to be big enough so that every guest at the reception can have some. Since you're having a whole dessert buffet, though, my inclination would be "no." Were you thinking of decorating the cake in any way or just incorporating it into the dessert buffet? If the latter, you could always do several small ones and spread them throughout the buffet as a nod to him, with the big one being the one you present to him.
  • Options

Yes you should have enough cake so each guest could have a slice if they wanted.  And this answer still stands true even if you are having other dessert items.

I would suggest surprising your groom with this cake at the rehearsal dinner or if you want something a bit more romatinc and intimate you could surprise him with it in your room after the wedding is over with.  Nothing like some cake and champagne to commemorate a great night!

• Options
    kryan32kryan32 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

We're not doing a "rehearsal" dinner but we will probably have all the out of state family over for dinner at our house the night before the wedding...

@Allispain - I like the idea of baking several small cakes and incorporating them into the dessert buffet!  I couldn't think of how to bake a single pineapple-upside-down cake that would be big enough for everyone since it doesn't lend itself to layering,,,  But if I make 3 regular sized cakes and spread them out through the buffet, that would work fine.  :) 

Now I just need to think of a long errand he can run so I can bake for several hours without him knowing about it!

Thanks,
    Kim

• Options
    Happy I could help!
  • Options
    kryan32kryan32 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

The dessert buffet is going to have a bunch of flavor choices - mini cupcakes and cake pops in a variety of flavors, 3 cheesecakes, and 3 kinds of cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, plus the pineapple upside-down cake.

Hopefully there'll be something everyone loves...

Take care,

Kim

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards