Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Sand ceremony

Has anyone ever done/seen a sand ceremony? Any thoughts on this? FH and I are considering doing one, but the jury is still out on whether or not we will. I collect sand from places that I've been to, and so think it would be a neat idea.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sand ceremony

• Options
    That's what I was thinking too. I have a giant plate of different sands at my parent's place, plus many little jars. I'd use the stuff that's loose though.
    I think it'd be meaningful if you used sand from places you've traveled, but otherwise, I think sand ceremonies (and unity candles for that matter) are cheesy and unnecessary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I don't have a problem with them in and of themselves, although they do seem rather redundant and unnecessary to me at weddings because weddings are in and of themselves "unity ceremonies."
  • Options
    The last wedding I went to had a unity sand ceremony and it was really nice. FI and I are having one at ours for a couple of reasons, it will give us a keepsake from the ceremony that we can display in our house, it illustrates that we're two individual people but a united couple. I don't think it's cheesy or redundant, if you want to have one go right ahead. There are plenty of resources online for wording and different vase styles, and I'm sure your officiant will be more than happy to help you work it in.
  • Options
    My FI and I are doing a sand ceremony as well. Although we are having 3 different sands to also incorporate our 1 year old daughter. I loved the idea of incorporating her (because she is still a little too young to be a flower girl) and symbolizing our family finally becoming one.
  • Options

I think using sand you've collected from places you've traveled to is a lovely idea.  I don't mind sand or candle ceremonies and I went to a wedding last fall where their sand ceremony incorporated the bride's two daughters and I thought it was very special and created a nice keepsake that can be displayed in their home. 

On a side note, the wedding I went to on Saturday had a unity candle ceremony.  They used an oil lamp which was turned up too high and flames shot up after the couple used their candles to light it.  It was hilarious.

• Options
    My FI and I are having a sand ceremony because we collect sand from places we have been together. Plus we are getting married on the beach, so it fits pretty well. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards