Destination Weddings Discussions

DW costs

Hello all!! I'm an old knottie, but my SIL just got engaged and threw out the idea for a DW.  Most of us are all for a DW because let's face it, my DH and I have only been on 1 vacation since our honeymoon 5 years ago and we've been to so many local weddings it's getting kinda boring (no offense, just repetitive).  My SIL and her fiance just moved in together and I can't imagine that they have lots of money saved..  My DH's family is quite large (MIL is one of 12) we had approx 180 people at my wedding. 

since we live in NJ and prices are fairly expensive pp, my rational is that she'll be paying for her wedding for a while if done locally vs a DW...

My question to everyone (if you don't mind sharing) is where is/was your DW and what was the cost?

Re: DW costs

• Mine was Punta cana at the majestic colonial. The wedding with just semi private dinner in one of the restaurants was 1750 ( that is up to 70 guests I think) paperwork to make it legal in the Dominican was about 500. Plus our rooms at 1500 pp
    Anniversary
  • Sandals Negril, Jamaica!!!  It's an adult only all inclusive resort, but for more private wedding reception/dinners there is an added cost for food and drink.  With 30 guests plus the bride and groom (so 32 people total) our everything from the ceremony, my bouquet, his bout, dinner, photography (unfortunately no videography), DJ, open bar to bon fire with roasted marshmellows and steel drum band costed about $5,500. 

Add in the costs for our honeymoon suite, flights, our rings, outfits, gifts and all else pertaining to the wedding, we spent a total of apx 11K to 12K.  And the dates we traveled were holiday dates so I am sure you can go even cheaper for the cost of the trip if you avoid the holiday!  Good Luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • TerriHuggTerriHugg member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    Hi there,

I live in NJ and got married in Bahamas at the Breezes all-inclusive resort. We got the upgraded wedding package for $999. We chose to have a private ceremony and rented out the banquet hall space for $500. Each meal was about $25 per person for the private reception. We had about 25 people attend. We hired a DJ who was FABULOUS for about $300 for four hours. The photographer was about $1,000. Al together it was $3,300. But that doesn't include airfare, hotel costs, wedding bands, favors, table linens. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My husband and I got married in Kapaa, HI (island of Kauai) and including all wedding and travel costs, we spent about $7,500. We saved over $12,000 by having a DW vs. one in our hometown.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married in Cozumel, Mexico. We are budgeting about $25,000. Which is about $10,000 cheaper than it would have been had we chosen a local venue in Annapolis, MD. We have a 100 person guest list, and per person, it's about the same, but our destination wedding is a lot smaller, hence the savings. Sure, we could have done more budget options locally than on the beach, but we wanted what we wanted.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Hi There!

My FI and I are getting married in January @ the Grand Palladium Kantennah in Akumal, Mexico. (A heads up, their wedding planner Vanessa Rolodan is AMAZING).  Our total cost including rings, attire, air fare, favors, gifts, ceremony, reception is around $12k CDN. We have 35 people attending our wedding. As you can imagine, the price of the ceremony/reception will increase as the guest list does, but the amount your SIL will pay for her travel will decrease.

I think that price is far lower than what we would spend in our home town! Oh and our price includes 2 weeks at our resort. The rest of the family is leaving after the first week. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards