Texas-Houston
Options

Reception only venues

I'm having alot of trouble finding a TRUE budget wedding.. Meaning like 3500ish said and done..

I know it's the most expensive day, but for several reasons, Saturday's really the best day for all of our family and friends. Friday and Sunday just really isn't going to work, unfortunately. :(

80-100ish guests

Within the next 2-4 months, most likely late June- early August

Ceremony - have it covered, will not be in the venue and is flexible to the area of reception

Saturday early afternoon ceremony 1:30-2pm and reception 2:30-3pm. Ending around 5:30-6.

No plated meal- basically just cake and champagne (or punch, coffee, whatever) maybe some tea sandwiches. Since its almost right after lunch and before dinner. Guests will be made aware there won't be a meal.

There doesn't need to be seating for all guests - since there won't be a formal meal but some tables (maybe enough for half to 3 quarters of the head count) and a small dancing area for first dance and maybe an hour or so of dancing

Basically what I'm looking for is either a rental where I can bring the food in (I have a lot of friends and fam that will help me do this ourselves) or, if its a venue that's within budget can provide this.

The problem I'm having is the nicer rental only venues are too high before I can get anything else covered or doesn't provide table and chairs, etc. and the rentals eat up so much of the cost. Or - the venues requirer a caterer which is unnecessary, or provide everything on site and have high food and bev minimums that are meant for a meal that we're not having. Tack on 20% gratuity service charge,etc.

The Raven Lodge in Huntsville seemed PERFECT - I never visited it but now the issue is the wedding is most likely going to be in the dead of the Houston summer heat and the indoors portion doesn't look like its going to be big enough. Better accommodated for an early spring or late sept-oct but I don't think we'll be waiting it out.

I always wanted an outdoors reception, but now with the timing it's going to have to be indoors. :( I don't mind doing DIY all the way. It's hard to find something that big enough with a low enough fee that's not tacky, requires too much to class it up, or isn't a complete black hole. Some sunlight would be nice :(

Maybe $2500 total but that would be the option of minimum decoration, floral, basically everything covered - if it was just a straight rental fee for a venue I would say $750ish max so I could do everything else

I really liked this place - gorgeous- a good example of what i wanted but unfortunately the rental fee alone was basically the whole budget. and had to do rentals, catering etc. It doesn't have to be THAT fancy, but a good basic space like that, that I could jazz up myself. http://5226elm.com/

So far this is what I've found that seems interesting - I haven't visited anywhere yet, just research and price quotes so far. If anyone has any experience with these venues input is appreciated :)

It's hard to really tell what any of them look like on the inside, unfortunately.

Memorial West Community Club http://memorialwestclub.com/rental.html

River Oaks Community Center http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/communitycenters/cc-riveroaks.html

Noel's Banquet Hall - Looks very close to what im looking for, but it seems to be too small :( Not enough info on it either.. I filled out the email request http://noelbanquethall.webs.com/

Sorry to seemingly write a book. Any other suggestions or ideas are appreciated! Just no Heights fire station. :)

Re: Reception only venues

• Options
    Btw, I know that 3500 is not exactly the cheapest wedding and not meant to be offensive to those who have less and would really appreciate that kind of budget. Just the fact that its not 5000-10,000 which is what most consider 'low-end'
  • Options
    I don't know how much it costs, but I'm pretty sure the Houston Garden Club is cheap (It's located in Hermann Park.  Simple building, but has a pretty rose garden around it)

Also, the Milford house (cute house in the museum district) holds the amount you need and should be $750 for the rental fee.  They will also rent out tables, chairs, etc.  for you.
    I think it's a nice venue, and I almost picked it for my wedding.

I also recommend that you have a chair for EVERY butt.  Trust me, people will be very uncomfortable if they don't have a place to sit.  Even if they're not sitting the whole time, they want a place to set their camera, purse, shawl, etc.  You would think that having fewer chairs would encourage mingling, but it actually inhibits it because people will grab a chair and never move the rest of the day for fear that they'll lose their chair.

Really, it's got to become part of your budget to have a chair for every person.  Even for a cake/punch reception.

Good luck with finding a venue!  Hope it works out!

SaveSave
  • Options
    Contact Bayou City Event Center and see if they can help you out.   www.bayoucityeventcenter.com

Thanks

• Options
    ckf1ckf1 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    I just wanted to give a brief update for future brides looking for the same types of venues..

@monkeysip - thank you for your assistance :) unfortunately, I called regarding the Houston Garden Club and they are closing at the end of July, and all weekends are booked until then. The building is going to be torn down as part of the Hermann Park restoration plans for this year. I'm sure the completed park is going to be beautiful, only sad because with new comes higher prices, usually. :(

Milford House - I'll probably have to look into a little more - for some reason and I can't remember why there was a reason I didn't think it was going to work.

Formerly Ellen Ray's & Noel's Banquet Hall seems to now be Duo Events www.duo-houston.com
    Basically - seems to be everything I'm looking for, but based on pictures I've seen it looks to be too small for the amount of guests we are going to have.

I don't know why it has to be so difficult to find what I'm looking for. Say the word "wedding" in Houston and instantly it's out of my budget. I just want to share our wedding day with a smaller group of family and friends. It's just one day in our life and I, personally, don't want to spend the kind of money others do for not even a whole day. I just want a time for a first dance, some nice pictures of family and friends there to support us and make memories as we start our life together. I don't want a fancy, lavish wedding. At the same time, I don't want a cheesy hall. If I could do it outside in a covered open air pavilion, I would, but it's going to be in the Texas summer. Ugh! I know there are others out there who want the same thing, it's just few and far between. For those who do, I feel your pain!

• Options
    monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    **Edited because I remembered some stuff from your post that basically made my post irrelevant

St. Arnold's brewery has events now.  They have different rooms, and I have no idea what their fee is, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Sorry, I got nothing else.  You may have to just nix everything else and pay more for a venue.  Or use a public park or something.  Or a really simple local community center.  Is your ceremony an indoor venue?  Do they not do receptions/have reception space?  

Also, out of curiosity, why were you against the firestation?

SaveSave
  • Options
    ckf1ckf1 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    No to the fire station because its $1500-$1800 with nothing else included.. The ceremony will be at our place of worship We won't be paying more, if anything we'll just do a nicer family only and super close friends 30 people. :(
  • Options

I feel your pain but I don't have an recommendations right now.  But I LOVE this blog: apracticalwedding.  It really puts everything into perspective. 

Well this is a over budget somewhat.  I think $5000 for Nouveau Antique Art Bar and that includes open bar and you can have the place until 9 if I recall but then they have to open it to the public.  It's a really eclectic place with tons of tiffany lamps and funky vibe.  You can bring in all your own vendors, but not sure if he requires the caterer to be licensed or not.  He would provide punch I presume and I think you can bring in your cake.  Neat spot, but higher than you wanted (perk is that all alcohol is included though)...

• Options
    ckf1 said:
    No to the fire station because its $1500-$1800 with nothing else included.. The ceremony will be at our place of worship We won't be paying more, if anything we'll just do a nicer family only and super close friends 30 people. :(
    I gotcha.  I thought the firestation was cheaper... it must have gone up since I began planning.

It sucks to have to change your vision, but I promise you'd still be really happy with a 30 people wedding.  Bigger weddings are great too, but it's really nice to be able to spend quality time with the people closest to you, instead of feeling pulled in a million directions by 100 people.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Have you tried the Gardens Houston? I know they have an all included thing, and depending on time of day, it can get cheaper. Our quote was 3500 for 70 guests I think. They provide food, linens, everything but DJ, photographer, flowers, and alcohol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Try Hodge Podge Lodge, it's the cutest little B&B out in Montgomery.  Note, though, this is outdoors only.  If that is an option, they will stay within budget and you can bring in your own food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards