Rhode Island

has anyone had a friend marry them?

I'm getting married 9/13/13 at the Towers in Narragansett. I've asked my friend to marry us. I was wondering if anyone on here had a friend marry them and what site they used to get ordained & any other requirements narragansett requires as far as having someone get ordained & if there is a specific website you reccommend or they require. I know you can get your marriage license up to 3 months prior to your wedding date and that it needs to be turned in to the town hall within 72 hours of your wedding date by your officiant. thank you!
Sarah Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: has anyone had a friend marry them?

• I'm doing this!  You have two options in RI -- you can go the online ordination route, or you can have a bill passed to allow someone to perform marriage ceremonies for a single day.  I took the bill route.  It was actually very simple.  You need to contact the district representative for the area where you're getting married and ask them to introduce the bill (a few minutes on Google should help you figure out who this is).  They'll send you a pretty simple form to fill out, and when you return it they'll introduce the bill.  Once a number is assigned, you can track the bill's progress through the house online.  It took about three or four weeks for the whole process to be completed for us, but I've heard it can take up to a couple of months.  I hope this helps.
  • I'm also doing this! Our friend has gotten ordained online via the Universal Life Church (ulc.net). Basically all he has to do is submit a copy of his ordainment certificate with our marriage license. Getting ordained through ULC is free, but to get a copy of the certificate there is a fee. I'm not sure how much it is. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thank you so much! getting ordained online seems easier than the bill route. I'll pass this along to my friend. Again, thank you!
    Sarah Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello! I am also going the friend-as-officiant route when I get married in Providence, and I'm planning on having her get ordained online through the ULC as well. I want to double-triple-check with the state that they will accept her as a legal officiant. Does anybody know who I should call to get this information from somebody official?
  • @Melissaweiss23 we checked with the town hall of the town we're getting married in (for us, it's Smithfield), which is where you should be getting your marriage license. They should be able to tell you exactly what you'll need to do. I doubt it will be much different from what we were told. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Melissaweiss23 we checked with the town hall of the town we're getting married in (for us, it's Smithfield), which is where you should be getting your marriage license. They should be able to tell you exactly what you'll need to do. I doubt it will be much different from what we were told. 
    If you live in RI, you should be getting your marriage license in the town you live in.  Only if you live out of state do you get the license in the town where you are marrying.  Reference: http://www.health.ri.gov/records/howto/getamarriagelicense/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards