Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Hyphenated last name

My fiance has two last names (his parents were never married, so he has his mom's maiden and his dad's last) and they are hyphenated. I really only want to take one but I don't know if the marriage would be considered "legit" unless I take both. I just want to know if I can take one or if he has to get his legally changed before our wedding.

Re: Hyphenated last name

• Options
    It's going to depend on your state.  Check your local name changing laws.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Your marriage will be "legit" regardless of whether you take any of his names. But you may or may not be able to take one or the other without paying court fees, depending on your state. Some will only allow a free name change under certain circumstances, for example dropping your last for his exact last.
  • Options

mandi195 said:
    You can change your name to Starfish Moonbeam if you want, it makes no difference in the validity of your marriage.
    Starfish Moonbeam, I love it.  Also, she does speak the truth -- my marriage will still be 100% legit when I don't change my name at all.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice ladies! I did check with my local DMV and they told me I had to take both of his last names. Since both are legally on his birth certificate that is the name I have to take. I appreciate all the comments though :)
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice ladies! I did check with my local DMV and they told me I had to take both of his last names. Since both are legally on his birth certificate that is the name I have to take. I appreciate all the comments though :)
    You don't change your name at the DMV.  You need to talk to the clerk of court who will issue your marriage license.

You don't HAVE to take anything.  Even if you can't do it with the marriage license, you can change your name to just one of his through the court.  It's not a huge deal.  
  • Options
    You don't change your name at the DMV.  You need to talk to the clerk of court who will issue your marriage license.

You don't HAVE to take anything.  Even if you can't do it with the marriage license, you can change your name to just one of his through the court.  It's not a huge deal.  
    Yeah, this. You need to do a bit more research. Changing your DL is important but there are other more important documents you need to change like SS, passport, etc. Figure things out from the top (i.e. courts as PP says) down.
  • Options
    I'm more worried that you don't think your marriage will be 'legit' if you don't take his name (any or all of them).  Lots of women don't change their names and have perfectly 'legit' marriages. You might want to find a different way to look at that, since there are a lot of women on here who didn't change their names and would be very offended if you didn't think a marriage was legit without it. And they wouldn't hesitate to tell you about it.

But I agree with the others, you need to contact your county clerk's office (or wherever you go at your courthouse/government office to get your marriage license) to find out specifically what the laws are there, and then go on that.
  • Options
    Why would you HAVE to take his name, or both of his names?

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards