Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

XP Critique my MOH toast?

This is cross-posted from "Moms and Maids." I wasn't sure which board it belonged on.

It just hit me that my best friend's wedding is only two weeks away...How did time go by that fast??

I've started writing my MOH toast and this is just a first draft, but I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys!  :)

"Hi, my name is *me*. I’ve known *bride* since… what, freshmen year of high school? Our families first knew each other through Little League, but I think we first really bonded in the 9th grade, sitting in the back of Sr. Larios’s Spanish class writing parodies of N Sync songs. And of course, learning mucho Espanol.

You’ve been my best friend pretty much ever since then, and really at this point you’re more of a sister. I love you, and it’s been just an honor having you in my life. I’m so happy for you. You’ve truly found your other half in *groom* and I know you have a lifetime of happiness together. Here's to *bride* and *groom*."

Thoughts?

Re: XP Critique my MOH toast?

• Options
    Sounds good to me but it might be a little long. Practice saying it and time it.
  • Options
    I really like the second paragraph - it's very sweet and I'd even expand a bit on it. You have a sweet message that isn't too sappy and it seems well-written. I think I'm boring when it comes to toasts, though.

Yours isn't too much like this, but I'm thinking out loud about toasts in general. It might just be me and I try really hard not to be a hater since it takes serious guts to speak in front of a huge group in an extremely important moment, but I get really bored with inside jokes that no one understands and trips down memory lane. It's special for toaster and bride, but can be boring for guests and leaves the groom out. Male toasters can be just as guilty of this. Sometimes toasts seems more like a high school yearbook message about BFF people are than mature, well-wishes for life-changing, new beginnings. 

That's why I really like the second half of yours - it includes the groom and is more about this special friend of yours (the bride) starting a new chapter in her life than anything else. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Thank you for the feedback! I'll probably tweak the high school part a bit, but I won't change the length. I'm not terribly fond of the groom (although he is veeeeery slowly growing on me) so I only acknowledged him a little, but I'll think of a few more words to include him.

Now if I can just do this without tripping on my way to the microphone, I'll be fine! :)

• Options
    Short and sweet. I think it's good. Maybe since you aren't super close with the groom, you can add in something nice she often says or feels about him (to kind of go along with why you're happy she found him?). 

You'll be great! Deep breaths! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards