Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Childcare: pay them or give a gift?

My mom is a preschool teacher and we are planning on asking 2 or 3 of them to watch our guest's children in the preschool area of the church during the ceremony. Since we're technically hiring them to spend about an hour watching the children, should I pay them or is giving them a gift sufficient? I was thinking about a gift card to a restaurant that I know a lot of the preschool teachers like to go to for lunch after work. Or is it better to give them cash money?

Re: Childcare: pay them or give a gift?

• Options

I'd go with cash.

• Options
    Another vote for cash.  You should be paying them for their time, not thanking them with a gift.
  • Options
    Pay them.  Though if I was a guest, I probably wouldn't leave my children.....they'd be with me at the ceremony or I wouldn't attend the ceremony.
  • Options
    Cash, definitely. If you're going to pay them, a gift wouldn't be sufficient at all. Payment would be.

Sidenote, I wouldn't leave my kid with someone I didn't know.
  • Options
    I used to do this sort of thing; pay them, and pay them well! As certified preschool teachers, in my area they would need 20-25 an hour each. See if you can find out their normal sitting rate and then go up $5. Special events are tough sitting jobs!
  • Options
    Sounds like it's a resounding "cash". Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards