Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Peel this, scrub that! Help!

Hi everyone,

I would really like your advice, Wedding is a yr away and I would love to start a more in depth skin care regime then what I do now (St. Ives daily apricot scrub, oil of olay moisturer and occasional OTC mud mask-yes all cheap drug store products) I am 46 yrs old, complexion is basically normal, occasional pimple,  a few sunspots and crows feet (not very deep but there when I smile). I have a DEEP crease between my eyes and a few creases on far head.

I would love your suggestions! I do no know much AT ALL about whats out there...or what peels, dermabrasion is/does. I do not want to spend tons of money on trial and error so I figured I would start here.

I wont hesitate to see an esthetician but I dont want to be sold on every and anything (not knowing the difference).

Any suggestions? Please educate me!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: Peel this, scrub that! Help!

• Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    Oh and some bigger pores..not on the sides of my nose but mid cheeks aside of my nose. This is a new change!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Options
    I find a regular facial keeps my skin in pretty great condition.  The esthetician examines your skin to determine which treatment is best.

My mother has done some of the microdermabrasion, etc. and I'm not sure I'd recommend it.  For that stuff, best to at least consult a professional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dr. Brandt's Pores No More Pore Refiner from Sephora. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    Thanks ladies.  @Iodonnell616 if you dont mind me asking why would you not recommend it? Did you Mom have a negative experience?

@ AddieL73 If Im not mistaken you LOVE makeup :) Do you have any experience or advice about peels etc? BTW....You are one of the Knots "hearts"....I see you consistently go out of your way to welcome the "newbies" and I think thats pretty awesome!!!!! (and appreciated-Im sure) :)

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I've had one chemical peel and 7 or 8 microdermabrasion sessions.  Quite honestly, I didn't see any benefit from the peel.  I love microdermabrasion.  I have some pretty significant acne and I'll do a session every 2 weeks until I've done about 4.  Those 8 weeks my skin doesn't look so good as it's bringing out all the gunk but it ends up looking great for about a year.  I'm able to have smooth skin -- something I haven't been able to experience any other time in my life.

I don't know where you are but I always find Groupons for places that offer Microderm...much cheaper!
  • Options
    Generally you shouldn't be using a scrub every day.  Also, what is the scrub material made out of in the St. Ive's apricot scrub?  If it's pieces of shell you really shouldn't be using it at all, it damages your skin. 

• Options
    Quite honestly, I thought she looked like a lion afterwards...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Microderm is going to make your skin look pretty awful for awhile after. I don't have personal experience, but the results are supposed to be pretty awesome.

For regular, at home scrubs, try white sugar with a couple of drops of olive oil every few days while you're in the shower. It'll make your face feel all nice and smooth - just make sure to use some cleanser after the scrub so the oil doesn't clog up your pores.
  • Options
    Light peels and/or a series of microdermabrasion sessions about 4+ months out . My holy grail daily skin routine is Retin A at night and a moisturizer containing glycolic acid in the morning. Followed by lots and lots of sunscreen!  I have pretty tough skin though, so you might want to choose one or the other if you have a really sensitive complexion. The Retin A and glycolic will help with your overall texture and fine lines. If you wanted to treat your deep creases, you'd need a laser or chemical peel with some down time. 
  • Options
    not a fan of microdermabrasion either and a facial scrub should be used once or twice per week. You can go to a local spa or get natural products. instead of a chemical peel you could use an enzyme mask made from papaya melon. And use a mud mask, also one or two times a week. Good facial bar toner moisturizer. there are tons on etsy and my go to seller is jakeala.
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    @barine, thanks! I am planning a visit to my dermatologist and spa (if need be).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards