Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Mom not happy with invitation wording?

Hi everyone,

I am getting married in 3 1/2 months. Recently, my fiance and I ordered our invitations and they just arrived in the mail earlier this week. My mom came to our apartment, so I showed them to her. She told me that they were lovely and that I did well in ordering them. However, today she called me and said that she was really unhappy with the wording on the invites. She said that the wording I chose was not appropriate for a church wedding. Our wedding will be an afternoon wedding at a small Episcopal church. I spent about $230 total for our invites, reply card and reception card.

Our wording is like this:

Together with their families
Ms. Mary Ann Smith
and
Mr. Edward Malcolm Jones
request the honor of your presence
at their marriage
Saturday, the tenth of May
two thousand and eight
at four o'clock
Good Shepherd Church
Andover, Massachusetts

What my mom wants is this:

Mr. and Mrs. John David Smith
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Mary Ann
to
Mr. Edward Malcolm Jones
Saturday, the tenth of May
two thousand and eight
at four o'clock
Good Shepherd Church
Andover, Massachusetts

I did not know that wording mattered so much. Can someone please tell me if I am wrong on this -- that my wording is not appropriate? My mom is also upset because she said I wan't involving her in much of the planning. She came with me when I picked me dress and flowers. But I don't know what to do. I don't want her to be upset, as I love her very much but I feel I have wasted a lot of money on the invites now. I do not see the logic in some traditions.

Re: Mom not happy with invitation wording?

• Options
    You didn't do anything wrong.  I did exactly the same thing.  Sounds like your mom is just mad that you didn't put her and your dad specifically on the invite, which is ridiculous.  I wouldn't worry about it too much! 
  • Options
    Ditto all PP.  I would also edit your OP and take out all the information of your wedding and edit your names down to first names only.  There may be crazies on this board who may show up!
  • Options
    The only thing a church wedding has to do with the wording of invitations is the "request the honor of your presence" line, which you have in your version. Either would be entirely appropriate, though the second would indicate that your parents are hosting the wedding (not necessarily paying). Bottom line, the invitations are paid for and printed, so she just has to get over it. She's still the MOB. I'm assuming you're getting her a corsage for the wedding.

OliveOil, I don't think that's her information, particularly given that the wedding date says May 2008...
  • Options
    Right - "honor of your presence" is reserved for religious ceremonies, so this invitation is church-appropriate. What your mom changed is the HOSTING line. The first line of the invite says who's HOSTING the wedding. By using "together with their families" you're saying you and FI are hosting alongside your parents. It sounds like your mom wants herself and your dad to be listed as the hosts and not to include the groom's family on the invitation. Short story - there's nothing wrong with it.

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You didn't do anything wrong.  If you, your FI, and both your families are hosting, then the way you have the invitation worded is just fine.  There's no rational reason for your mom to be so upset that it is not worded "Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents/request the honour of your presence/at the marriage of their daughter/etc."
  • Options
    Thanks Allie, I didn't catch the year!  And know that I really go back and read it, she used Smith and Jones for the last names.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. We are paying for the wedding ourselves. Thanks so much for all the answers! I feel a lot better.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. We are paying for the wedding ourselves. Thanks so much for all the answers! I feel a lot better.
    Then your wording is perfect.
  • Options
    lizzzbeee said:

You're paying for it yourselves? You were very generous even including the "together with their families" line then. Sounds like your mom is just being a brat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards