Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

You're NOT invited?

My FI and I are having a very small wedding with just immediate family and close friends. We are chosing to exclude aunts, uncles, cousins, etc because that would add at least 100 more people on my side alone, and we simply cannot afford it. I feel like my family will all be expecting invites and may be offended when they dont get them. Is there a way to politely tell a large group of people that we are having a small wedding or do I just hope that they all understand when they don't get an invite?

Re: You're NOT invited?

• Options
    It's rude to tell someone they're NOT invited with no provocation. If someone asks, say you're unfortunately having a very small wedding and couldn't invite many of the people you wish you could, but there is NO polite way to go "By the way, I'm having a wedding, but you're not invited"
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    If they are not invited I would not send an invite.  As mentioned above.  If they asked I would just tell them it's limitied to immediate family and friends. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses! I kind of figured that was the way to go about things but wasn't 100% sure due to the amount of people we are unable to invite. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I am doing the same kind of wedding. Just parents, grandparents and siblings/spouses. Most of our family knows that we are getting married via word of mouth. And people have asked about when they are getting invites. I just simply say that we are just having a private ceremony. Most are understanding because they know of our situation, I'm pregnant, we just bought a house, FI is finishing up college, so most don't mind.

We are planning on sending out marriage announcements to out aunts, uncles and cousins. That may be an idea that way they know you were still thinking of them.
  • Options
    You can only politely tell them if they ask you about invitations first.  You can't politely bring it up yourself to anyone who hasn't asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards