Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Two weddings on the same day

So. I have a sorority sister getting married July 20 in NJ. She is a close sister and dear friend. My FI also has a good friend getting married the same day! Our RSVP date is coming up close for both of them and we're at a loss. The receptions are an hour driving distance apart. My friends ceremony is at 230 and reception at 530. FI friends ceremony starts at 4 with reception following after. I told my FI that I can go to my friends and he can go to his. He doesn't want to do that because he doesn't want to go stag. Thinks it would be "uncomfortable" for him. I thought maybe we could swing both but then that's money out of their pockets we'd be wasting and I would feel awful leaving one for the other. We'd have to leave right after the ceremony ends for my inspirations, drive an hour, then see go to his friends ceremony and reception and possibly then leaving and returning to my inspirations reception. It's a lot of driving and I think it would be disrespectful to either party.

I've been waiting for my inspiration (sorority sister) to get engaged and was looking forward to her wedding. Josh's friend, whom I've never met, dated his FI for literally 3 weeks before proposing to her less than a year ago. My FI seems "eh" about going to his friend's and when they got engaged, he said somethings about it. My FI is hard to read and I can't actually tell if he wants to go. He would never tell me. . Need some help. Has anyone had the same situation and what did you do or what would you do?

Re: Two weddings on the same day

• Options
    MicqsMicqs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Should we just pick one then send a gift to the other?
  • Options
    I think you should pick one and send a gift to the other, just to save you the sanity of driving back and forth all night.
    I can't say which one you should go to, though. This is something you need to discuss with your fiance.
    Honestly, though... if you're deadset on going to your sorority sister's wedding and he is insistent on ongoing to his friend's, then maybe you should each go separately. I know he said he doesn't want to go stag, but if neither of you want to give up going to your friends' wedding, it's a fair alternative to missing out.
  • Options
    OT but I don't understand why you call your sorority sister your "inspiration"...seems a little odd to me.

I'd still suggest going separately because it's rude to ditch out on one to go to the other when you RSVP "yes" to both.  With our wedding, we had people who had previous commitments and wrote in an empty space on the RSVP "ceremony only" (they did this on their own, I did not give this as an option on the RSVP).  I appreciated that so I didn't account for a meal for someone who never had intentions of showing up.  That's always an option.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    MicqsMicqs member
    In my sorority we had a big sister and an inspiration sister. Both just special individuals. Inspiration sisters more so during pledging and big sister throughout. I developed more of a bond with my inspiration sister than I did with my big.

I think we are just going to go to one and send a gift. In that case, what's the etiquette for sending a gift to the couple we are not attending?
  • Options
    It looks like it would be pushing it but you might be able to go to your sorority sisters ceremony and then head to your FI's ceremony, but if you do that be sure to indicate on the RSVP if you are only going to the ceremony. I'd probably do what you're leaning towards, send a gift to one and a regrets RSVP, and RSVP yes to the other. As far as I know there is no special etiquette for getting the couple a gift if you aren't going, just be sure to decline so they don't pay for meals for you.
  • Options
    How old if your FI? Being 'uncomfortable' at being alone sounds super childish to me. Its really not a big deal and I think it's shitty of him if you decide to go to his to make you miss our on your friends wedding because he can't eat dinner alone. 
  • Options
    MicqsMicqs member
    How old if your FI? Being 'uncomfortable' at being alone sounds super childish to me. Its really not a big deal and I think it's shitty of him if you decide to go to his to make you miss our on your friends wedding because he can't eat dinner alone. 
    I think its more of the fact that he wouldnt know that many people and would probably end up sitting at a table.  We are going to my friends wedding and sending off a gift to his. 
  • Options
    If there aren't enough people at his friend's wedding for him to have a good time with, then there are probably even less people there that you'd have fun with.
    So going to your friend's wedding is probably the good choice. Though it would be nice if there weren't that huge gap. That's what would sway me more towards his friend's wedding unless you'll have a lot of other friends at your friend's wedding (specifically ones you could hang out with during the big gap).
  • Options
    hi - my brother and his FI find themselves in this situation all the time! For them, if it's two best best friends, they each go stag. 

In this case, I think you can convince FI to come to your friend's wedding. He can do a strong showing at his friend's bachelor party, etc, and then just send a nice gift. 

• Options
    I had to go to 2 weddings in the same day. my cousin and then my sisters. I went to the church to watch my cousin get married wished them my best and moved on to my sisters to watch her get married and then the reception I was also in her wedding party so trying to get dressed inbetwen made timing a bit tight with the out of state driving but it worked out. Plus I think the ceremony is the REAL part of the wedding.
  • Options
    My FH and I had that dilemma last summer. We were invited to 3 weddings on the same day. Our decision was pretty easy because they were all in three different states, 2 of them would have required flying and the one we attended we carpooled with a friend. We sat on 2 STDs debating for a long time and I emailed my friend and told her that we would be declining because we had a different wedding to attend, which ended up being a wedding we declined in the end die to distance.

Like PPs have said, I would wait until after the RSVP was turned in to send the gift for the other couple. Most registries let you ship to the couple vs you going to the store and buying it, wrapping it(if you want) and shipping.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I like the the going separately idea. The fact that FI isn't willing to go to his friend's wedding alone, to me, means that he picked going to your friend's with you.
    Agree completely with this. If you don't mind splitting up for the day but he won't, then he has basically agreed to go with you.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    hordol said:
    I like the the going separately idea. The fact that FI isn't willing to go to his friend's wedding alone, to me, means that he picked going to your friend's with you.
    Agree completely with this. If you don't mind splitting up for the day but he won't, then he has basically agreed to go with you.

This

Anniversary
  • Options

Agreed.

H and I have a similar situation in September - also with a sorority sister of mine and one of H's friends.  But H is in his friend's wedding and we knew about it first (and I'm really looking forward to catching up with them, too) so we're going to his friends and sending the sorority sister a card/gift.  If you really want to go to your sorority sisters you should.  If your FI really wanted to go to his friends he would go stag.

• Options
    Micqs said: misssunshine17 said: How old if your FI? Being 'uncomfortable' at being alone sounds super childish to me. Its really not a big deal and I think it's shitty of him if you decide to go to his to make you miss our on your friends wedding because he can't eat dinner alone.  I think its more of the fact that he wouldnt know that many people and would probably end up sitting at a table.  We are going to my friends wedding and sending off a gift to his. 
    So now that you're decided, you had asked about etiquette for the wedding you're not attending. Just send back the RSVP with "decline". I have really appreciated people who wrote us a note wishing us well when they declined. Then, if you want to give a gift (you are
    not obligated), have it sent to them via mail/UPS/whatever. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I have to agree with others. You can either split up for the day and attend each respective wedding or decide on one & you can still send a card/gift if you want to the other. If you can't decided between which wedding to attend, which invite came first?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards