Getting in Shape

Monday Accountability

Happy Monday Morning, GISers!

I'm up super early and can't sleep so I thought I'd start today's. I've really been wanting to get back on this board but I've been so busy! I hope there's no rule against who starts the thread..

My Dad's been in the hospital since Thursday to remove a foot from his colon. We're waiting another few days for pathology to tell us if the golf ball sized growth was cancerous. I sure hate this waiting...

I've been eating pretty well because the hospital he's at has a very healthy kitchen selection (with calorie count on all labels - Score!) and I've been at or under calories the past few days. No real exercise except walking all over the campus. Today I'm going to take the stairs as much as I can - he's in the 6th floor so it should be a good workout.

Enjoy your day ladies. :)

Re: Monday Accountability

• Good morning!

I hope that everything works out with your dad, @lindanp!

Yesterday was a good day overall; food was really good (cutting out dairy will pose problems, I love a glass of 1% with breakfast!), and I did 45 min of cardio, which gave me 19.4km, and a resistance band circuit with the equivalent weight of 17lbs per exercise.

Then we went for a drive up to the cabin. It's the first time we've been since the snow went. I saw my first porcupine (how did I now know that they climbed trees?), and we discovered that a bear has been trying to get into the cabin again. 

I'm debating taking a motorcycle course too - I'd love to know how to ride, FI does dual-purpose riding and just bought a bike that we'll be picking up on our roadtrip. But I'm torn; why do the course if I DON'T have a bike of my own, why not wait until I get one, and if I do start TTC and am successful, I won't be riding next summer either ... decisions, decisions...

Happy Monday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Take the class @jennylee813! :)

Morning everyone!

Back from friend's wedding weekend and brother's birthday and I am exhausted.  I am giving myself a week before I look at the scale after all of the food, but can't wait to get back on track.  Healthy food will be easy this week since I'm flat out tired of eating, but getting back to a workout schedule will take some motivating.

Have a great day everyone!
    Anniversary
  • Morning everyone!

Weekend was good. I was up early saturday morning to spin then headed to the flea market with FI's mom for a little. It was a major letdown! Just not a lot of gems/overpriced stuff. I was on track with food, despite a couple glasses of wine that were consumed at the BYOB pottery painting place (that place is amazing - fyi).

Sunday was good - rest day as I was beyond sore and my legs just felt dead. Calories were under. I've got to figure it out - scale is moving up (6 weeks 6 lbs) and I'm not happy about it. I'm thinking my alcohol consumption is the culprit even though I'm generally under (exception - see memorial day and one day the weekend before). Otherwise - I eat well, I workout at least 5 days a week. It's getting frustrating. I'm thinking about reaching out to a good friend who is a Strength and Conditioning coach at a D1 school and asking him for advice. If it was a couple lbs, okay. But I have not consumed enough to be THAT high, and to not be coming back down. Clothing isn't fitting better and I'm not as tight through the middle as I was.

So annoyed. On the bright side - normally I'd complain about rain but its been stupidly hot and muggy here so at least its cooling it off :)

• Good morning!

Today is a rest day and I totally deserve it!  I am nervous about food for the day.  Once again I have no groceries so I haven't had breakfast yet and I have no idea what dinner will be.  I like to plan my calories for the day in the morning, so I hate days like this. 

lindanp  I hope your dad is alright!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good Morning Ladies! I'm just recovering from a melt down... Good thing there is no chocolate in the house! I just caught my dog chewing on a pair of shoes I was planning to wear for engagement photos is afternoon. They are not salvageable so now I have to rush out and find a new pair of shoes.

Yesterday was an unplanned rest day, though I did play a round of golf I really don't count that as exercise with the beer drinking involved. This morning I went back to sleep after my alarm went off. Didn't sleep well last night and just couldn't manage a 5am workout. Hoping to squeeze in a run between engagement photos and bridesmaid dress shopping this afternoon.

New goal start tracking calories on my fitness pal, so I can have a goal to shoot for(and maybe stay motivated to do it by adding some of you). The scale has been stuck for a few weeks, would like to get it moving again.

• Morning everyone!

Yesterday I took a rest day from the gym because as I was walking to work my back was feeling sore.. didn't want to chance an injury right before the wedding.

I did do day 7 of my ab challenge yesterday though. Today is supposed to be a rest day but I might go to the gym anyway since I missed yesterday.

Food was under by a lot yesterday. Shouldn't be too bad today. I'm testing to see how long it takes before I crack and go buy diet pepsi though. I ran out yesterday and didn't replenish my stock lol.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• lol @swimmy1988. I switched to pepsi max - I couldn't get it for the first year I lived up here, and they've just started carrying it. There was none at the store this weekend, I hope that's not a trend...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @lindanp - sending thoughts your family's way.  and there's definitely no rule about who starts the thread, glad to have you up and at 'em, though i wish it was under better circumstances!
    @jennylee - sounds like a fun time!
    @Lobsters25 - i hate that feeling of being sick of eating or how my body feels when i get in a bad eating routine.  but you're right, it's definitely motivating.  and i'm sure you'll get back into the workout routine easier than you think!
    @xcaly - glad you got to sleep in, you totally deserve it!!!
    @Nonos - oh no!!  hope you find some replacement super awesome shoes!!

Yesterday was sort of relaxing for me.  I walked around an art festival and took a mile walk in the evening.  Also did some pilates and an hour of softball practice.  I pitched the whole time and am surprisingly a bit sore.  It was nice to do something different activity wise.  I love to run but the change of pace is always appreciated from time to time.  Food was good until FI made me a pb and white chocolate chip pancake for an evening "snack."  It was a calorie bomb but really delicious.  Oh well, what can you do.

It's been 3 days now and the scale continues to be down about 1lb. from last week, so i'm officially calling it as a loss, which is fantastic.  Glad to be moving in this direction again.  I'm trying to be really mindful since the wedding is just over 3 months away now!!

Still feeling under the weather... god i hate how sinus/chest colds just hang around forever.  Hope everyone has a good start to the week!

• Good morning ladies!

Lots of ups and downs for me this weekend.

Friday - Took an afternoon walk and then did 40 minutes on the elliptical at the gym. Later, DH and I went to a non-profit prom and ended up walking/taking the bus to get there (free drinks! At least we were being responsible), then I danced a lot throughout the night. I ended up just shy of 20,000 steps for the day. Food was OK with a few hiccups - I didn't eat dinner and went straight to this prom thing without eating...drinks on an empty stomach made for an interesting evening. I'm just glad on our way home we didn't grab junk food - we went home and cooked steak at 1am instead.

Saturday - Pretty good day overall. I did C25K week 1 day 2, plus DH and I walked all over for a "local first" festival that was being held downtown. The biggest mess up of the day was indulging in some frozen yogurt at the festival (but they're cool! I swear! They only use all-natural ingredients and try to locally source everything!). I still came in under calories for the day, so I'm good with it.

Sunday - Yesterday was pretty awful. I managed to DRAG myself to the gym and do 15 minutes on the stairmaster and 30 minutes on the elliptical, but halfway through my elliptical session my stomach started hating me. I still finished, but it prevented me from adding in any weightlifting. My food all day was pretty appalling. All day, I just kept snacking and snacking and snacking. DH and I tried to make dinner before heading to the movies, but the hot dog buns were stale and he accidentally overcooked the hot dogs...so we pretty much just had some broccoli and then had to run out the door to get to the movie on time (DH so badly wanted to see Star Trek in 3D at the Imax theatre and it looked like this weekend was going to be the last weekend to do so). After the movie we were both starving...I'm ashamed to admit we stopped at a Denny's, and even though I looked up the calories of what I was going to eat before I started, I ate it anyways. That damn apple pie french toast is almost 1,000 calories all on it's own!!! So glad I don't eat like that every day - but needless to say, I was WAY over on calories for the day.

This whole weekend just highlights so perfectly why I need to focus on eating well over the weekend. During the week I seem to be doing pretty good, but then when I don't have a structured schedule of when I should eat it all just goes to hell.
  • @nonos Good luck finding some new shoes!  What a nightmare!

@entropic Apple pie French toast sounds so delicious.  I would not have been able to resist either. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    Hello... yesterday I tried to be good for dinner and tried not to snack.  Today I wanted to run but my body was telling me to rest.  So I am determined to be good with eating... leaving on this vacation on Saturday morning. 
  • Thanks for the well wishes everyone. My Dad will be fine- he's just recovery slowly and he's super dramatic about everything. I finally got to sleep when called me 3 times at 6am asking for advice on whether he should let the nurses shove a feeding tube down his throat. He seriously talked about it like they were trying to kill him.

Entropic- I have the same issue on the weekends. H over indulges bad and it's so hard when we're eating our meals together. I'll be working on better habits along side you!

Choagie- Congrats on losing a pound! It's great to see the scale moving!

Nonosgirl- Sorry about the rough start today.. Sounds like you've got the right attitude!
  • Well I started my weight loss/exercise more mission this weekend.  I did pretty well.  I was under on food both days.   I biked 50-60 minutes each day.  Took the stairs.  Resisted eating the chocolate cookies DH had to bake and only had 3 beers all weekend.  That is big because we normally go to the bar and have a few drinks per night on Friday and Sundays.

Yesterday we went and ordered a nice sectional sofa at Pottery Barn, then went and bought a food scale.  Apparently, I was underestimating the food quantities and I was eating less than I thought.  Opps.  I wasn't hungry and my sugar levels were better than they have been in a while.

Today I woke up and did the first day of C25K workout then I took DH to work via our bikes.  We only have one car and a lot of times I drive him.  Instead we  rode our bikes to his work.  I work from home so no commute of my own so I used DH's instead.  Tonight is bocce ball.   I should be on track or under for food.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    @clovester - I know exactly what you're feeling.  I've traveled for 9 of the past 12 weeks and my body was so tired.  All you can do is be sure to take care of yourself and don't feel guilty for not working out.  I tried to balance that by eating the best I could.  It's hard!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards