Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Videographer Amateur

We are hiring a amateur videographer (she has a degree in film, but doesn't use it at all--just cuts hair) for our wedding. After speaking to her (she was recommended by a trusted source), we both agreed we'd do some research on what an appropriate and fair cost would be. The price menus I'm finding are for professionals who have a ton of experience, great cameras, and more than one crew member. How much should I be willing to pay?

Re: Videographer Amateur

• Videographers are pretty much divided into 3 categories.

Amateurs = Expect to pay anything from a few hundred dollars up to $1000. They are usually part time people that are trying to get into the field and do not posses a whole lot of experience or professional equipment. Expect average to good customer service, entry level cameras (a variety of them) and mediocre to good audio. They are pretty much learning the trade.

Professionals = People that have been in the market for several years. Expect to pay anything from $1500 to $3500. Every detail of your video will be well recorded/edited. They will usually bring a crew, lights and professional cameras. Don't be surprised if they use DSLR cameras. They have insurance and are familiar with your venue and other wedding vendors.

High End = Their companies usually are called after their names. You will pay over $3500 and could go as high as $10K or more. You will have all the benefits of a professional videographer but your final video will be almost a Hollywood production. Expect cinematic views and amazing audio.

How much would you be willing to pay? 
    Depends on your budget and whether video is a priority for you. I'd say go with the Professional.

Regards!
  • I think around $1,800 is the high end of average. Since she is an amateur, go a little lower than that. If you'll be negotiating, make your starting price lower than you expect to pay so that you have some leeway. Good luck! 
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards