January 2014 Weddings

Get to Know

Hi ladies!! Our weddings are all roughly a year away!! we got engaged last June, so Ive been trying to be patient these last six months, but am already well into my planning! I just got my dress this week! Our venue and church are booked, bridal party picked, guest list done, florist picked (have not picked the flowers yet, but florist is my fiance's friend, so we know we are going with him). Im so excited for our weddings and excited to meet all of you on here! where are you guys at with your planning?

Re: Get to Know

• Yay! Fellow January brides (& groom!) We're getting married January 18, 2014 and I'm ridiculously excited! So far we have our wedding parties picked out and asked, our church and venue reserved, almost done our guest list, and are actively looking for the other vendors. I'm stressed, but remaining calm because I know that the real stress will come in about 10-11 months from now! :) Every time I feel like I've figured something out, I feel like something else pops up and ruins my vision and I need to alter it but hey-what's life without a few windy roads??

Good luck planning, & congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2014_get-to-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:4664340e-1ddf-4eb9-b1ac-f716b5208d9cDiscussion:c86dafe7-0453-4cdb-9c35-02540b22cebfPost:8d71eb97-688f-467a-a48a-e7fc7e1cf992">Re: Get to Know</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Get to Know : Hi everybody! Nice to see some January 2014 brides out there! Does everyone have their gown??? what made you want to have a winter wedding?
    Posted by GinaMelody[/QUOTE]

My wedding theme is going to be Cinderella. (I am a Disney maniac!) And so we've chosen our colors to be white, silver, and a pale blue ... which aids to the winter theme. So we figured it would be perfect to have a winter wedding. And Jan seemed to be the month where nothing else was going on. =) Everything seems to be fitting together perfectly!
  • Yes yes yes! I bought my gown at the begining on March-literally want to wear it every single day. How about you ladies?? We don't really have a 'theme' but our colors are a plum purple with silver & white touches. It's January so we'll have winter touches-hot cholocate favors, a few little snowflake touches, but nothing really themed. Just a wedding day filled with love :) I love winter, it's my favorite season which had some part in why we chose January but also because he proposed on Christmas, we wanted a full year to plan so January fit right into that. Plus then we get a warm tropical honeymoon vacation while it's chilly back in Philly!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married January 28, 2014 in Akumal Mexico! I can't wait. My fianc is swamped with work over the summer when weddings are traditionally held so we decided to so it in the winter. Since we got engaged over Christmas, any winter dates this year just seemed way too close. I bought my dress about three weeks ago, and I'll be picking it up in a month and I can't wait! We've booked our wedding and honeymoon, invited all our guests and they've been RSVPing and booking, I've purchased my bridesmaids dresses they are dark purple convertible dresses so the girls can wear the same dresses tied differently, it feels like alot of the big stuff is taken care of!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2014_get-to-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:4664340e-1ddf-4eb9-b1ac-f716b5208d9cDiscussion:c86dafe7-0453-4cdb-9c35-02540b22cebfPost:1844a944-5b89-4e46-a214-70e4b91f9a4e">Re:Get to Know</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married January 28, 2014 in Akumal Mexico! I can't wait. My fianc is swamped with work over the summer when weddings are traditionally held so we decided to so it in the winter. Since we got engaged over Christmas, any winter dates this year just seemed way too close. I bought my dress about three weeks ago, and I'll be picking it up in a month and I can't wait! We've booked our wedding and honeymoon, invited all our guests and they've been RSVPing and booking, I've purchased my bridesmaids dresses they are dark purple convertible dresses so the girls can wear the same dresses tied differently, it feels like alot of the big stuff is taken care of!
    Posted by DeleaJackson[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, I am very jealous you are gettting married in Mexico! That would be amazing and warm, especially warm. (Can you tell I have the winter blues?)
  • I am very familiar with the winter blues. It's been between -10 and - 35 degrees celsius where I live almost daily since October. We are finally rid of the snow, as of today, and it's supposed to start snowing again tomorrow and snow all through the weekend. BLAH!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2014_get-to-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:4664340e-1ddf-4eb9-b1ac-f716b5208d9cDiscussion:c86dafe7-0453-4cdb-9c35-02540b22cebfPost:def4ae55-2532-43f7-b87d-2045053e10b6">Re:Get to Know</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Get to Know : Just so you know, I am very jealous you are gettting married in Mexico! That would be amazing and warm, especially warm. (Can you tell I have the winter blues?)
    Posted by snoopycac[/QUOTE]
  • Hey all!
    I'm getting married January 11, 2014. In Canada :)
    My gown is ordered and it should be coming in sometime this month! Eeee!
    Our colours are coral, peach, champagne, and ivory. Wedding party is picked, but not their attire. Venue, photographer, caterer, florist are all chosen.
    We chose winter because we love the snow (and the discounts)
  • Hello Everyone,

I am a January 4th bride.  I chose January because of work schedules and because I didn't want to wait an additional five months for the summer to roll around.  I have the venue, bridal party, my dress, and an officiant.  My fiancé's family is from Cameroon, so we have to get things done early so they can get their visas.  Colors are navy and ivory with silver accents.
  • I've got a lot of things already taken care of, but that's because I'm living overseas until September and needed to get things done while I was in Canada so I wouldn't be too stressed.  We are having a medieval solstice feast theme (I'm getting my RMA in Medieval Studies and FI loves everything medieval, so it is actually a lot easier to have a medieval themed wedding than a regular one).

So I have my dress, caterer, bridal party, ceremony and venue (both at my FI church, since my church is a bit far for all our guests), and photographer.  And possibly the decorator, if we decide that we don't have enough medieval decorations of our own, which we probably do.

I chose winter for a few reasons.  First, it being the off season, second being that coming back from my studies gave me enough time to plan for a winter wedding, and third - winter is really pretty. 

• Wow, everyone has a lot done already! Im so excited to be talking to other Jan Brides and Groom. :)  We booked our photog like two weeks ago, so Im pretty stoked about that. Im having a bit of a hard time finding an inexpensive DJ though. I really had sticker shock when I started seeing prices. I also cant seem to find bridesmaid dresses I like that come in my color.
  • krickly09krickly09 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2014_get-to-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:4664340e-1ddf-4eb9-b1ac-f716b5208d9cDiscussion:c86dafe7-0453-4cdb-9c35-02540b22cebfPost:8d71eb97-688f-467a-a48a-e7fc7e1cf992">Re: Get to Know</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Get to Know : Hi everybody! Nice to see some January 2014 brides out there! Does everyone have their gown??? what made you want to have a winter wedding?
    Posted by GinaMelody[/QUOTE]

I do have my gown, I went this past Jan, just to look. What do you know I found it at the first place and loved it. I agree with a previous poster, I want to wear it EVERY day!! haha. I do already have it too (actually its being held at my brothers house, so my FI doesnt see it!). I got lucky and the sample one fit so well that they offered a discount if I bought that exact one, so I did. (I really wasnt expecting to find it so quickly though).

We decided on Jan bc we have both stood in weddings before in the summertime and were so hot and uncomfortable. So we knew we didnt want spring or summer. My brother had a fall themed wedding a few years ago, and I didnt want to do the same. When I started bouncing around winter, I started falling in love with the idea more and more. Not much going on in Jan usually, the snow, beautiful and 'pure' looking outside. Plus we have never known anyone to have a winter wedding. We also must be crazy bc we are in the Chicago suburbs! Hopefully no blizzard, but some fresh snow on the ground.

We were going to take our engagement pix this spring, but since it hasnt really 'greened up' around here, we are going to do them in May or June, so we can send the save the dates in July. What part of planning are you guys working on presently?
  • I hear you Krickly -  I'm hoping for no blizzard, but I would like some nice snow on the ground for pictures.  Here's hoping!
    I'm not doing Save the Dates, but am instead sending out my invitations earlier.  Actually, good question for all of your guys - are you sending out invitations earlier than the "6-8 week" guideline that some websites mention?  Because 6-8 weeks puts some of us right in the Christmas card rush . . . I'm planning for early to mid-November. 

• Hey kerbohl,

Im going to send the save the dates in July, then my invitations 3 months before the wedding (october), so I can request them back by mid to late Dec. I dont want to be scrambling in Jan with seating charts and responses. So hopefully nothing 'comes up' with peoples schedules in Jan for them not to come. Id like to aim to be done with planning by New Years and just do the 'little things' that come up that I forgot about.
  • That sounds like a good plan!  This holiday season is going to be busy for all of us January brides, I think. 

The only problem I see with asking for responses for mid-December is again, the last minute Christmas card rush.  This shouldn't affect you if you are sending out your invites in October, but if you have any guests that like to procrastinate until the deadline . . . let's hope not! 

I fully expect procrastinators, but I guess I'll just have to deal with that.  My sister had four couples say that they were coming to her wedding, and then just not show up.  Seeing as they are part of the family and I might invite them, that's something I'll have to watch for. 

• Yeah, I'm definitely nervous about that too. I'm gonna be soo mad if people say yes and don't come! Hopefully theres not many-although my Aunt did that to my brother's wedding :/
  • I'm another January 4th bride (EEEEEEEK)! We picked January because my FI is still in the coursework portion of his PhD program, and so in order to have time for a wedding and a weeklong honeymoon we needed to get married the first week of January or wait until the summer (which feels WAY too long, plus summer weddings are $$$$). Bought my dress this week and oh-so-excited!! :)
  • I am another January 4th bride. We picked it because we both graduate college in December and we don't want to wait until the next summer! I thought I had already posted on this board, but I guess not. I got engaged a little over a month ago. I have bought my dress, booked our officiant (our pastor from our church), booked our venue (which comes with a caterer), done engagement photos, and booked our honeymoon. I kinda hit the floor running with wedding plans :)   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I hear both of you for not wanting to wait until summer.  My FI was hoping for a summer wedding, but he knew that I really loved the idea of having a winter wedding, and when I pointed out that it was half a year less to wait . . . also the money factor is a big thing! 
    Katietriv - you really did hit the floor running!  How is the wedding planning going with school?  Or are you out for the summer already?  My semester here goes until the end of June . . . so I keep forgetting when other people are out of school. 

• I am out, but I start summer classes May 20th. So I am trying to plan like crazy on my two weeks off in case I don't have much time this summer.

But so far, I really am having fun planning it. I have been able to juggle school, work , and wedding so far.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've been doing the same, except right now I am finished work for a few months.  That doesn't give me more time to work on wedding planning though, since I am overseas and can't do anything until I get back.  So I just have to focus on school right now! 

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    January 18th bride. We have our venue (which is basically all inclusive), I have my dress (thought it would take 4 months to arrive, it arrived early) and my veil/slip, etc. We picked January because it is "off season" for my fiancee's business, so we don't have to be worried about his schedule, etc. it has turned out fantastic because it has allowed us so much flexibility in regards to venues, vendors, etc.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nati24knati24k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Im getting married on jan18th, in a pretty forest, we have the venue, my dress is on the making, some decorations, and pretty stuff, sometimes we get nervous because we spend weeks without talking about the wedding because of our jobs! 
  • @nati24k Meh, don't feel bad spending weeks not talking about the wedding.  I didn't really think about my wedding for about three months - focusing on school and putting the wedding on the backburner.  Come September my lack of thinking about it and planning may come back to bite me, but there's still some time before January! 
    Also, I love the idea of getting married in a forest!  Sounds amazing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards