Favors

Personalized Scrabble Name Coaster Favors

edited June 2013 in Favors
Long-time lurker, first time commenter here. I am in the brainstorming stage for my favors right now. I have always wanted to do something personal and DIY. We're planning to do a pseudo-photobooth (it is a professional photography booth that does not print the image. The images are uploaded online for guests to view (aka put as their Facebook profile picture) and we get a CD of the images afterwards -- (I'm a bad explainer, see more here: the-unbooth.com). So I figured since everyone is not getting something physical (like a photo strip) to take home with them that I would make something for everyone. I'm big on words and my FI and I have notoriously been scrabble/boggle competitors for years. Are the favors (as seen below) too kitschy? What would you do with the name coaster if you received it as a favor from a wedding? Would it be a waste of time or would you appreciate the effort (and actually use the coaster?) Bonus question: If you totally hate the scrabble coaster idea, do you have any ideas of how we could make a favor out of our "photobooth"? I am totally at a loss. Thanks in advance!

Credit for image: Intimate Weddings

Re: Personalized Scrabble Name Coaster Favors

• Gah, stupid image. I hope this works!
  • edited June 2013
    I personally would have no use for a coaster that doesn't match the decor of my home and Scrabble wouldn't match it.

You can't go wrong with edible favors. People will actually enjoy them which is the purpose, of course. You could use square sugar cookies w/ your new last initial in icing & the corresponding point value, just like the Scrabble piece, and put it in a clear plastic baggy tied w/ a ribbon. If you wanted to further incorporate Scrabble, what about spelling "Please take a cookie and enjoy!" with blocks on the stand and place it on the table w/ the favors? Hope that makes sense!
  • Personally, not a coaster fan. Try a picture frame with the website that they need to go to in order to get their photo
  • Thanks for your feedback! I really like the photo frame idea but I would worry it'd be up for the same criticism that aefowler brought up (not matching a person's decor). Now I'm kind of leaning towards a candy buffet. I just hate to be cliché - photo booth and a candy buffet? Hmm... decisions, decisions. Nonetheless, I appreciate your feedback!
  • I love scrabble...  but, I would honestly toss that in the trash.  Another vote for sticking with edible. It doesn't have to be a candy buffet. You can do chocolate covered oreos (those are always a big hit) and wrap them in pretty organza bags or cute boxes.  Or, you can do a few different cookies, or fudge, or caramel popcorn, or salted caramels, etc. etc. etc.  There are a ton of options.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    aefowler said:
    I personally would have no use for a coaster that doesn't match the decor of my home and Scrabble wouldn't match it.

You can't go wrong with edible favors. People will actually enjoy them which is the purpose, of course. You could use square sugar cookies w/ your new last initial in icing & the corresponding point value, just like the Scrabble piece, and put it in a clear plastic baggy tied w/ a ribbon. If you wanted to further incorporate Scrabble, what about spelling "Please take a cookie and enjoy!" with blocks on the stand and place it on the table w/ the favors? Hope that makes sense!
    This could look adorable!  You could lay the cookies out to make a message.  You could use your initials and have the point value be the year of your wedding.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=cookies+that+look+like+scrabble+tiles&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xySvUYaBLqGqyAGRwYH4DQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=605

• I love the coaster. I don't know what I'd do with just one though. I'm not sure I'd toss it, but I wouldn't know what to do with it

I trump all the Kitties with cuteness!!! Bhahahahaha!!!

• I think those coasters are really cute and I guess I'm in the minority, but I would use that. Scrabble tiles are a neutral color so they would go with almost anything. My FI and I have our own cups we use when we have snacks and our own seats in the living room so with these we could have our own coasters too, but maybe we're just weird.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I think the coaster is cute, too, but maybe as a gift for a friend who loves Scrabble...not as a wedding favor.

Cookies or candy...and I'm sold!

• I would like the coaster, but only if you gave me 4-6 of them. One random coaster does nothing for me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I always pray for edible if a couple is doing favors.  I do NOT want anything that will lay around in my home.  Candy buffet = happiness for this MOB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards