Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Help - FP: Bora Bora, Tahiti, Moorea

Hello there,

We are planning a FP honeymoon for August 2014. I was hoping for some help from the Knot community:

1. Any travel agent recommendations based on past experiences? We will by flying from either Chicago or New York City (wedding is in NYC but we live in Chicago).

2. I'm interested in jumping around a bit, any advice on where to stay and for how long? A lot of the packages have 1 night Tahiti, 3 BB, 3 Moorea, etc. After a day or 2 of relaxing I know that we will want to be social and go meet other people/couples, go to the bars, go dancing, etc. 

3. Booking the flights with miles - My brother's gift to us will be tickets using his AA one world alliance miles. Please share any tips and tricks.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!!

Re: Honeymoon Help - FP: Bora Bora, Tahiti, Moorea

• 1. We're not really allowed to post TA recs on here, but if you want some, PM me. I have been to the islands quite a few times and have worked with many different agents.

2. Going to bars and dancing is not something you'll get to do in FP nor do they offer it. Everything closes down by 10pm, with the exception of Papeete. However, you won't really want to spend too much time there, as it's quite built up and and doesn't really reflect the true beauty of the islands. How many night depends on budget. With the except of Tahiti, I'd stay no less than 3 and no more than 6 on any one island. Moorea will offer a bit more activity, IMO, so if you want to do a ton of stuff, I'd add your extra nights there. It's also cheaper than Bora Bora!

3. Book the second the miles come out!!! There are limited seats and they will disappear fast. Do not even attempt to quote or book the land portion until the air is secure, as you may need to be flexible with dates. Also, depending on what flights you get, you may not have to spend a night in Tahiti. So, keep that in mnd.

• I also recommend doing Moorea first- it's a 10 min flight to Moorea from Tahiti, so it's helps ease you into your vacation.

• Thanks for the advice!

Another question: thinking back to the first time you visited the South Pacific (FP in particular), do you have any advice on what you wish you would have known or done (activities/the order of things)??

We're thinking a 9-12 night stay, staying in Tahiti, BB, and Moorea, likely staying in Moorea longer than the other 2.
  • I went to Tahiti, Taha'a and Bora Bora for my first trip. I am a very laid back person who prefers doing nothing, so I wish I had spent more time in Taha'a because it's so quiet and private. However, that isn't what you're looking for :) We did 1 night Tahiti, 5 nights Taha'a, 4 Bora Bora. I am glad that I did the one night in Tahiti because it allowed me to wake up feeling great the morning after and ready to go. I did fly business class, though, so I'm sure that also helped. I am also very glad that we did a mix of accomodations- beach villa in Taha'a and OWB in Bora Bora. I kept going back and forth between the beach villa and OWB in Taha'a and SO glad we went with the beach villa. It made the trip full of different experiences. As for activities, I did jet skiing in Taha'a (WAY expensive but worth it to do just once), a shark/ray feeding in Bora Bora, and a 4x4 in Bora Bora. I also did spa treatments on both islands. I enjoyed all of the activities, but had I done Moorea/Bora Bora,I'd save the 4x4 for Moorea.

If you really want to do something different, stay 2 nights in Tahiti and do a circle island tour there. Almost noone does it and Tahiti Iti (the smaller part of the island) is quite picturesque. there just isn't everything over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards