Wedding Party

Asking wedding party via e-mail?

Is this just a horribly tacky idea, or an economical/practical one? 

Justin has actually already asked his groomsmen about being groomsmen, as well as the flower girl. (The daughter of one of the groomsmen.) He talked to the guys on the phone. I have not yet asked my bridesmaid or matron of honor. I also have not yet asked my ushers (male cousins of mine) or ring bearer (one of my cousin's sons.)

I was thinking that a personal e-mail to each person would suffice. I've seen the "will you be my bridesmaid" cards/gifts, but I always thought that those seemed over the top. Now that I've had this discussion with my mom, she thinks I should send at least some card through the mail to everyone. (Everyone we want in the wedding party is spread across the U.S.; there really isn't much opportunity for us to have an in-person conversation with them.)

What do you think? Recommend? And what did you do to ask your wedding party? Thanks!

Re: Asking wedding party via e-mail?

• Why can't you call them? That's what I did. 
  • Use the telephone.
  • In person if you can, phone if you can't.
  • I was asked by email and found it a little impersonal. Phone would be a lot better.
  • I made cards on vistaprint for $10, I took a few quotes off some other websites and they turned out super cute and everyone loved them!
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I called the 3 out of towners. Asked the remaining 2 in person.

I also sent each a card, but that's only because I wanted to.

• I called the ones that were farther away and asked two in person.  It's much more personal.  Besides, it's fun to hear their reaction to being asked!
  • I was living out of town, so I used Skype for the one and the phone for the other two. 

• Ask in person if possible.  If not, use the phone.

If you want to follow up with a card or email, that's fine, but those are too impersonal to actually do the asking.  
  • Don't send "cute cards."  Cards are impersonal, and trying to be "cute" about your request, which can amount to a significant sum of money as well as time, depending on your plans, can make it seem as though you don't take their roles in your wedding seriously enough to take their needs into consideration.

Also, being "cute" can really backfire if they feel the need to turn your request down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards