Snarky Brides
Options

NWR: Work people

edited June 2013 in Snarky Brides

I just started a new staff job at a community college about two months ago and love it. There is a great team here who is really committed to the student experience and does great work - particularly for our under-served students. As with any large workplace, though, there are those those few odd balls who make life interesting around here. My favorite is when they clearly judge me after finding out that I wasn't raised in the same, very afluent and urban, area I now work in. These are usually to the effect of, "No wonder you wanted to move up here!" when hearing where I am from....as if I just landed from the moon or something. This is before they let me get a word out about whether I loved or hated the place that I was raised in. Sorry, hope this post made sense, but I just had one of these experiences.

What about you guys...what are the oddballs at your work like?

Re: NWR: Work people

• Options
    I wouldn't take them too seriously.  A lot of people can be proud of where they came from to the point of being conceited but don't necessarily mean any ill will; they just don't realize they're insulting at the same time lol.

The only thing that really bugs me about people at work are the ones who don't learn something after you've explained it to them several times, in a field they should be well versed in. 

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    Lol, I agree, Vegas. They are just proud of this area. I don't blame them...I think I'm just still adjusting to the new area, job and staff. Ironically I grew up within a few hours of Vegas in the desert. :)
  • Options
    Ironically I grew up within a few hours of Vegas in the desert. :)
    I'd move there if I didn't like living by the beach more lol.  Of course I say that as a tropical storm floods my street today ugh.

• Options
    Oh no! Stay dry! What area of the country are you from?
  • Options
    Tampa Bay area.

• Options
    We had a science teacher at the school I last worked at who would take it upon herself to email the faculty with scolding emails whenever she was somehow "wronged." Once, she had a box of stuff in the teacher workroom. I guess somebody desperately needed a box, and they took the stuff out, left it loose in the closet, and took the box. We got emails about it for weeks. We were all tempted to bring boxes and pile them up in front of her door, but we never did. Several years later, someone saw me taking some paper out of a box in the copy room so I could get the box, and said, "Careful....you might get an email!" Nobody ever forgot the Great Box Debacle! 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Right now we have an intern that's a close talker.  My desk is in a corner so whenever she comes to talk to me she gets within a foot of my face and there's nowhere to escape.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards