Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Proposing after a funeral

Hello,

My long-time girlfriend's grandfather passed away last week. I had purchased a ring before this and had originally planned on asking for her parents blessing sometime this month. It doesn't appear that now would be a good time to do this, or to propose for that matter, and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar? I'm going to give it a few weeks before starting the conversation again, because to spring a proposal in the midst of grieving is inconsiderate in my opinion. I've have waited this long and am completely willing to wait longer until the time is appropriate. However, I was interested if anyone else went through something similar and what route they may have taken. 

Re: Proposing after a funeral

• Options
    My grandfather passed away right after my (now) H bought my ring. He proposed about a month later. I had some time to grieve and then it was nice to have something happy going on in my family, to be honest. 

• Options
    Don't get tunnel vision with your proposal and focus on a timeframe.  Watch your GF and see what her emotional mood is.  Some people process grief differently than others.  Some will want time to work through it, some will want something happy to focus on to help them move on.  Only you will know which path your GF is taking.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I agree with Pele. You should be able to get a feel for when the time is right. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Don't get tunnel vision with your proposal and focus on a timeframe.  Watch your GF and see what her emotional mood is.  Some people process grief differently than others.  Some will want time to work through it, some will want something happy to focus on to help them move on.  Only you will know which path your GF is taking.

This
  • Options
    My grandfather suddenly became sick and passed away last October. Honestly, I was crushed because I was so close to him. My fiancé waited about two months to propose and it was perfect timing. I'm not saying I was through grieving or that I was doing amazing but the original heartbreak had subsided into grief and I was getting back to my normal self. I still miss my grandfather to this day, especially when planning a wedding he can no longer attend, but it is much different than the original pain. The proposal gave our family lots of happiness after a hard time. Like others have said, you will know when she is ready by how she is acting. I'm sorry for her/your loss and wish you happiness in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards