Not Engaged Yet

So now I'm a little embarrassed... :\

ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited June 2013 in Not Engaged Yet
My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months, friends for 6 1/2 years previously and have casually talked about getting married but no serious talks. So obviously I am on TK and my address is listed, and I'm not sure if it was a vendor through here, but a photographer sent me a postcard saying, "CONGRATS ON YOUR RECENT ENGAGEMENT SHYANN!"  Unfortunately, my boyfriend, who I live with, checked the mail, saw it, and was like, "...uhhh...is there something you want to tell me" and laughed. I was so horrified and tried to play it off like, "whaaaa?! thats crazy, idk where that would've come from." I know theres a disclaimer that says when you enter your address on your account here that you will only receive mail from things you request, and I DID not request this. I just moved 2 months ago so this is the only acct where I've changed my address to my new one. I dont get mail at my new place yet. Just thought I'd share, and I wasn't sure if this has happened to anyone else. I deleted my address from my account and put in a bunch of random letters and numbers as my address. Hopefully I won't get anymore engagement/wedding planning things that my boyfriend will see!!  So awkward and embarrassing, but so funny.
Anniversary

Re: So now I'm a little embarrassed... :\

• Lol that's kind of funny..totally embarrassing though.  Lol
  • That sucks. I would have been like, "I have no idea what that is or where it came from. How weird."

I feel like something similar happened to someone else on here. 

• Talk about awkward....
  • I get stuff in the mail via TK all the time.  I didn't realize that would happen when I signed up.  They don't make it very clear.  Luckily SO and I don't live together, so he doesn't really see my mail before I get a chance to go through and recycle stuff.  He'd think I was BSC if he saw solicitations from wedding vendors. 

I agree with changing your profile address to a fake address.  Problem solved.  You can always change it back later if you do become engaged and want to receive that stuff.

Im your huckleberry gif Val Kilmer Tombstone Imgur
  • It happened to me too.  Except I was living with my parents and my dad was like, "Raven is there something you need to tell me?"  It was really annoying.  I changed my address right away.  
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• When you actually do get engaged, David's bridal will also sell your info. It's kinda tricky because you want them to have your number if you order a dress so they can call when it comes in but omg stop calling me and tellin me I won a cruise. I feel bad for telemarketers (don't we have one on here?) I'm a jerk
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Strangely, I never got anything from TK until almost a year after I got married (and it even had my correct wedding date, so TK is just dumb).

Ditto on David's Bridal, even though I wrote in giant letters on the form "David's Bridal is not allowed to share my information."
  • Yeah, I think I remember that happening to me once on my old TK account. I just shrugged it off. As a semi-related side question, how many folks' SOs know/have an opinion on your TK involvement? Specifically I'm curious about those who are currently NEY. I think my BF would side-eye being a member of a wedding website when not actively planning a wedding, although I think he'd understand the helpfulness of this board. It hasn't come up, just curious.
  • I started posting on TK when I was NEY. He knew that I was posting on this board because I had gotten advice from the ladies about engagement ring shopping. My H has never been uncomfortable with or judgey of my being on TK (to my knowledge). I also didn't browse anything wedding-related prior to getting engaged so I'm pretty sure he knew I wasn't planning our wedding or anything every time I logged in. 

• When I signed up I think I put in "123 MYOB Street" or something along those lines for my address.
  • BF knows I'm on here and, honestly, finds it amusing. He knew I started lurking when I was in another friend's wedding.
  • I don't know if H knew I posted on here or not but I certainly didn't hide it from him...my computer is an open book to him and I'm sure I've left posts up before and he has then used the computer.  I never felt the need to bring it up for the same reason I never bring up some other blogs I follow about dogs, cooking, etc...just has never come up in a conversation.
  • @LivLeighton - As it should be with B.  :)  I can't imagine why someone would get upset that their SO loved them so much that they wanted to marry him/her but, at the same time, stay sane and not pressure them into marriage without the other person being ready and want to find like-minded people to chat with.
  • My SO doesn't know I'm involved with TK, but he know's I'm into anything wedding related because I spend my Saturdays sitting on the couch watching Say Yes to the Dress and Four Weddings lol. I am NEY and we havent even discussed a time frame of getting engaged or married, but my SO was the first one to bring up the idea of marriage and I hear at least once a week, "when we get married..." or "At our wedding..."  Its cute. He has a lot of it planned out, so I think if he knew i was involved with TK and the NEY board, he wouldn't think anything of it. It might actually make him more certain about things...hmmm....we have our first vacation together coming up. 5 days in TN...seems like a good time to propose, right?! :)
    Amapola14 said:
    Yeah, I think I remember that happening to me once on my old TK account. I just shrugged it off. As a semi-related side question, how many folks' SOs know/have an opinion on your TK involvement? Specifically I'm curious about those who are currently NEY. I think my BF would side-eye being a member of a wedding website when not actively planning a wedding, although I think he'd understand the helpfulness of this board. It hasn't come up, just curious.

Anniversary

• BF has always known about me being here. Hes never thought that I'm crazy. He likes to hear about the crazies too!

• @princessbride2016 that would drive me bananas! Thankfully BF doesn't go there (he is borderline BSC these days though - the tables have turned, muahahahaha), but my mom does. She is always asking about my "husband" and his "wife." I am mostly glad she seems happy about us being together but it's rather odd. I just ignore it.
  • Btw, thanks for the responses to my question, everyone. I don't think BF would care to listen to the weirdness that can happen here, haha, and probably just wouldn't get the whole talking-to-people-online thing. He doesn't even care for Facebook so this would be totally foreign to him. I guess I just don't know whether I am somehow obligated to let him know I get on here or just leave well enough alone - I don't say anything he'd be embarrassed about or anything, and it has just never come up naturally.
  • That happened to me. My BF (at the time) knew I was on the site and laughed his ASS off about it. He then wanted to know if I had anything planned (uh, NO), and started spouting off about some things he wanted at our wedding. So me receiving wedding mail turned into him being BSC. It was pretty funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards