Maryland

Any inexpensive venue recommendations around Frederick, Mount Airy, or Columbia???

We're currently searching for venues for a 2012 wedding ceremony & reception.  It would be nice to find an inexpensive place that can accomodate an outdoor (or indoor) wedding ceremony & indoor reception area.  We're open to a venue anywhere around Frederick, Mount Airy, Damascus, Columbia, etc.  Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Re: Any inexpensive venue recommendations around Frederick, Mount Airy, or Columbia???

• LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since everyone has a different idea of what "inexpensive" means, it would help people give better advice if you could provide a rough estimate of how much you are looking to pay. Are you looking for an all (or mostly) inclusive venue (food, linens, china, etc. provided) or would you prefer to work with outside vendors? Aapproximately how many guests?
  • edited December 2011
    If you do a non-Saturday night wedding, Ceresville Mansion in Frederick is a mostly all-inclusive venue at a reasonable price. Especially if you do an afternoon wedding rather than an evening wedding. I don't know what budget you're looking at, and I'm bias because I'm getting married there, but I think it's the perfect venue!
  • edited December 2011
    Ceresville Mansion in Frederick,MD.
    check it out.
  • ashlidieashlidie member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you are open to piecing it together (well sort of, the right caterer can help with most everything)  The Howard County Conservancy has a pretty space for 130-140 guests.  I recommend KS catering for the caterer, Ive tasted their food and it is great but my venue has its own caterer.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Circle D Farm in Woodbine, MD. They are very reasonable. They handle a lot of the stuff for us; outdoor ceremony, indoor reception, tables, chairs, linens, food...
  • FutureGrayFutureGray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Echoing a PP, I am not sure what  you consider inexpensive, but we chose Ostertag Vistas for our ceremony and reception.  It's a 164-acre farm located between Frederick and Hagerstown. Their rental fees include exclusive use of the facilities and grounds on your day, tables and chairs, setup and breakdown, some lights and simple decorations for indoors if you choose to use them, a portable PA system, and four hours of coordination services.  They don't have requirements for specific vendors and there are no food/beverage minimums, which is nice.  And the owners are really, really nice people!
    So far, being a Gray is pretty awesome. image
  • ashlidieashlidie member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    elaborating on PP, the Ostertag vistas is breathtaking... We just couldn't fit all of our guests :-(
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at Morningside Inn in Frederick, and it was an amazing venue!  They have a huge back patio with a beautiful gazebo for the wedding...or if it rains they have a great space inside with floor-to-ceiling windows so you still have a nice backdrop if you get rained out.  I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive, but we found MSI to be one of the more affordable options by getting married on a Sunday and having the required minimum of 75 people instead of 125 (like most other places around here.)

http://www.morningside-inn.com/

Another place you might consider is Thorpewood in Thurmont.  We looked at this place, too, but they were already booked.  They let you have the venue for 8 hours for less than a lot of places around here.  Plus, you can bring in your own alcohol to save some money.

http://www.thorpewood.org/venue/welcome.html

Vacation

Vacation
  • lily2905lily2905 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center in downtown Frederick in October. I'm not sure what your budget is, but it is around $1000 for a Saturday night including a ceremony in the side gallery. So far, their venue coordinator has been incredibly helpful and it is a beautiful and unique venue. I'm really excited about getting married there! You should check it out.
  • edited December 2011

There are some great venues that have already been suggested from the above posters...especially Ceresville Mansion which from the pictures I've seen has one of the most beautiful outdoor ceremony settings in the area imo (Ceresville also recently received Brides.com 2011 Editor's Choice Award for the Historic Mansion Category). Howard County Conservancy is also very nice and they just received a very nice donation about a month ago (I mention that because they might use a nice chunk of that donation to make their grounds look even nicer).

If you're looking for something closer to the Columbia area, I would have to recommend my venue, The Elkridge Furnace Inn. (Since I mentioned it for Ceresville, The Elkridge Furnace Inn also won the Brides.com 2011 Editor's Choice Award but in the Restaurant Category.) We can be a bit 'pricey' however I'm willing to be flexible with all of our pricing to fit everything within the Target Price Range/Budget you have to work with given certain parameters.

kmartini makes an excellent point that is pretty much an industry standard - it will be more economical if you are willing to consider a Friday, Sunday or Saturday Day rather than a Saturday Evening event.

All that being said, please feel free to shoot me an email (matthew@elkridgefurnaceinn.com) and I'd be more than happy to discuss different options with you and let you know what we could offer working within your Target Price Range/Budget.

Cheers. - Matthew Balan

• edited December 2011
    My wedding was at Ceresville and was absolutely amazing!  (congrats to all the other Ceresville brides on here, too!)  We also really liked Milton Ridge when we visited there.  It's near Frederick as well.  Good luck!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hunters2012Hunters2012 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The other barn in columbia. Creative blank slate.
  • edited December 2011
    Contact a local photographer and ask him for recommendations. Soheil Photography in Maple Lawn is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! http://www.soheilphotography.com
  • edited December 2011
    Linganore Winery in Mt Airy.  Fridays and Sundays are half price.
  • MerryNMathMerryNMath member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest Dutch's Daughter.  There is no fee for the room, their food is excellent, and the pricing is quite reasonable.  And while they don't rent the Dungeon (at least I don't believe so) they do have a beautiful outdoor space off of the Dungeon.  Contact Danielle at 301.668.9574 or events@Dutchsdaughter.com
  • DancerAdriDancerAdri member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, everyone, for all of your suggestions.  We are trying to stick with a budget of $6,000 or below for everything & it is proving to be very difficult.  The more we spend on the wedding, the less we have for a down payment for a home together.  So far, Circle D has the fairest prices, but the search continues!  Thanks again.
  • julieannjagjulieannjag member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What day are you getting married?
  • So glad someone posted a venue in Woodbine! That is a small miracleto me!

Cheers, Cara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It is very hard to find everything for under 6,000. I have started the planning process as well and was hoping to di it for less than 8,000. Would love to know what you find out and where you end up having yours. Also Pinecliff park in frederick county has a building they rent and it's pretty and cheap. It's called the Browning Building. You should check it out! :) You can't fit as many people in there-not sure how many guests you are having? Let me know what you think!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards