Catholic Weddings

Music for Catholic wedding

My fiance and I are getting married in the Catholic church. We were both baptized catholic, but he and his family are much more apart of the parish than myself and my family ever were. I've been looking to him for most of my info on all the things I need to get ready. But music isn't his forte. Can any of you wonderful ladies give me some insight on music for the processional ? His sister (who is an amazing singer/ guitar player) has offered to do the music for it, but doesn't have many suggestions. Anything at all would help at this point, as I only have 2 months until the day :s   

Re: Music for Catholic wedding

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Welcome and congrats! We have a page in the link above with loads of music choices. Hopefully you can find one there!
  • You might also ask if your parish has a list of approved/often picked music.  Our parish gave us a CD with tons and tons of excerpts from songs, which was really helpful as I was a baby Catholic when I got married.
    Anniversary

• sarahdactyIsarahdactyI member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Does the church you are getting married in have a music minister? We were able to meet with ours and she played a lot of the main options on the keyboard so we could pick.

I'm not much of a musical lady myself but FI really is, and he loved being able to pick the songs for our mass :)

Just be sure to ask and be sure the church allows outside musicians, and see if there are any restrictions on what she can play.

I will also say - that's so sweet of her to offer to do the processional! Did she offer just to do that part? My FSIL offered to do some sort of a flute piece at our mass, but we didn't want her to do the processional because we know she will probably tear up and we want her to be able to watch! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Also on the outside musicians, really check on the policies there.  The music director might want to do at least one run-through with your FSIL, so you need to make sure the scheduling works out.

Also, off the top of my head, songs that I hear a lot in Catholic weddings that are also really pretty on guitar:

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
    Canon in D
    Anniversary

• Our church is literally in the middle of nowhere lol. A small community of about ohhh 1,800 people. SO there isn't really a music director, and we're having added problems because we don't live there anymore. We're flying home for the wedding, so we've been getting most things ready from afar, with the priest here ( who is most often not around). FI's  sister offered to do all the music, and thank god she isnt actually sappy person, or i would have asked her to just do something during the ceremony instead lol.So, since its such a small place, 9 times out of 10 you have to get someone who isnt a part of the parish to do music, so that isnt a huge deal at all. That was the first thing i checked with the priest lol
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    Our church is literally in the middle of nowhere lol. A small community of about ohhh 1,800 people. SO there isn't really a music director, and we're having added problems because we don't live there anymore. We're flying home for the wedding, so we've been getting most things ready from afar, with the priest here ( who is most often not around). FI's  sister offered to do all the music, and thank god she isnt actually sappy person, or i would have asked her to just do something during the ceremony instead lol.So, since its such a small place, 9 times out of 10 you have to get someone who isnt a part of the parish to do music, so that isnt a huge deal at all. That was the first thing i checked with the priest lol

To make it "easy", DH & I just used our favorite hymns. Ask to take home a hymnal after Mass and go through the songs together.

Come Thou fount of every blessing

O, God beyond all praising

Lo, how a rose e'er blooming

How great Thou art

Shepherd me, O God was our responsorial

• Well it sounds like you are all set then :) Congratulations!!

And @txkristan, the meeting went so well. It got us both excited about finding a church up here that we feel more comfortable in. Lots of good sharing, talked about the story of FI's mother and our decision to get married in the church, etc. etc.  I hope I get to chat with him again before our wedding, too!
    Our church is literally in the middle of nowhere lol. A small community of about ohhh 1,800 people. SO there isn't really a music director, and we're having added problems because we don't live there anymore. We're flying home for the wedding, so we've been getting most things ready from afar, with the priest here ( who is most often not around). FI's  sister offered to do all the music, and thank god she isnt actually sappy person, or i would have asked her to just do something during the ceremony instead lol.So, since its such a small place, 9 times out of 10 you have to get someone who isnt a part of the parish to do music, so that isnt a huge deal at all. That was the first thing i checked with the priest lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards