Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

New mommy bridesmaid dress shopping

I need some help! One of my bridesmaids is currently pregnant, which is not a problem. The issue I'm having is when do we shop for bridesmaids dresses? She is currently 12 weeks and due December 28 and the wedding is the following September. So the baby will be 9 mo on our wedding day. But typically bridesmaids dresses should be ordered about 6 mo in advance, right? That means she will have 3 mo post baby body. I have been told that she will be about the same size 3 months after baby as she is 4 months with the baby. I am more concerned about her comfort than that of the other 2 bridesmaids, so I would love for her to actually be able to try the dresses on too. What do I do??? 

Re: New mommy bridesmaid dress shopping

• Options
    I would ask her what she is comfortable with. I would pick an easy color like black or royal blue and let them pick out whatever they want. Most BMs are much happier with this setup because they dictate style, price and wear ability. 
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    jrubner said:

I need some help! One of my bridesmaids is currently pregnant, which is not a problem. The issue I'm having is when do we shop for bridesmaids dresses? She is currently 12 weeks and due December 28 and the wedding is the following September. So the baby will be 9 mo on our wedding day. But typically bridesmaids dresses should be ordered about 6 mo in advance, right? That means she will have 3 mo post baby body. I have been told that she will be about the same size 3 months after baby as she is 4 months with the baby. I am more concerned about her comfort than that of the other 2 bridesmaids, so I would love for her to actually be able to try the dresses on too. What do I do??? 

Go in March. Don't worry about her "post baby body"...she'll be fine and will order whatever size she's comfortable with.
  • Options
    Are you open to letting each bridesmaid pick her own dress in a predetermined color?
  • Options
    I would pick a designer with lots of options and quick turnaround time, and have her order a dress of her choosing in the correct color after she has the baby. Matchy-matchy BM dresses are out of style now anyway, coordinated, different styles is much more common now, and more convenient for the BMs (and bride, who doesn't have to worry about everyone agreeing and looking nice in the same thing).
    I agree about picking a designer with a quick turnaround time. My sister (MOH, only BM) had her baby girl April 1st. Three weeks later she asked if we could go dress shopping. I figured if she was comfortable, we'd go for it (she's naturally very thin and carried all in her belly- she wore skinny jeans!). She loved the Vera Wang line at DB, so we went, found her dress and ordered it. It came in 2 weeks ago. About a month from order to pickup. So this is an option for you if DB is something you all are interested in.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    One of my BM is pregnant.  She is due in August.  My wedding is January.  She must order by October in order for it to arrive in time.

Dresses can also be altered DOWN by about 2 sizes so she will go for a fitting in October and order a dress that fits her then, and it can be altered down in size as necessary.

She came up with this idea on her own and after talking to several consultants and different bridal shops and a seamstress.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Davids Bridal dresses can be purchased and received very quickly so if you see a color you like there, that might be the best choice.  Also, as others have said, let each woman select their own style they feel comfortable with.
  • Options
    David;'s bridal dresses come in about a month and depending on the style your want alterations are no big deal.  I was in a wedding 3 weeks after DD was born and I bought the dress based on the size I was before getting pregnant.  It fit perfectly.  

Bodies are an amazing thing, they tend to bounce right back.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards