Ohio-Cincinnati

Covington Cathedral?Anyone?

Hi,

My FI and I are about to put down deposits for our venue locations. We're in love with the Covington Cathredral, St Mary's Basillica of the Assumption. Has anyone else used them? I know it's not actuallly in Cincy, but would love to hear other brides experiences there.
 Especially anything with the musicians since we "have to" use their musicians...?

Thanks

Re: Covington Cathedral?Anyone?

• jennadietzjennadietz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you get all the paperwork and read it.  They've got a lot of rules and regulations.  And you have to meet with the Monsignor and he was so rough on my fiance and I that I left crying and we decided to go a whole different route.  It's a gorgeous facility, but the time restrictions that you have to work with, the limitations on music, and the intolerance and insensitivity exhibited by the Catholic Church sent us fleeing to a non-denominational minister to marry us at Drees gazebo. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • newsgrl39newsgrl39 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my best friends left there crying too! She said they made her feel so guilty about not being the perfect catholic she left in tears. She ended up booking Madison Ave Christian Church and she has been very pleased so far.
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm,... The people I know who got married there didn't quite have that experience. How sad....Hmm
  • edited December 2011
    Yep I've heard the same thing about the Cathedral. Our mutual friends are getting married there this year and although they are getting married there, every meeting they've had there has been brutal. Good luck.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ok... So far they haven't been that bad! I want a full catholic ceremony and we're both catholic so maybe that'll help? But guess I'll have to go in to talk face to face with a thick skin!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Cincy, but our priest told us that when he performed a ceremony there, he was shocked with the restrictions.  

The couple he married asked to have a unity candle which is a no-no over there.  The priest allowed it.  Needless to say, he is no longer allowed to perform marriages there.
  • jennadietzjennadietz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It gets rough if you and your fiancee are living together.  We have a house together and he wanted my guy to MOVE OUT for the year from our meeting at the Cathedral to the wedding.  Their paperwork tells you that they don't approve of couples living together before marriage but that they encourage those couples to get married so they are not "living in sin".  But then they just make you feel like terrible people who are headed right to hell.  We were honest with the Msgr and if we had just used a different address for one of us, it would've been a whole different experience.... I think.  Made us sad to be Catholic and subjected to such intolerance and arrogance.  We are living together in love and wanted to be married in the church, but we just got such a bad taste in our mouth after that experience.  Hope yours is better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi all, I'm in the same spot too. My fiance and I have been living together for about 8 months but my address is still with my mother. He is a practicing Catholic and although I went through all the usual sacraments, I do not practice. I'm aware that both cohabitation and premarital sex are big no-no's, but it means so much to my fiance that we get married in the Church. What do we do? Our meeting is scheduled soo, but I really want to be prapared to say the "right stuff" BEFORE being made to cry about going to hell for eternity.

Thanks,

Jaime

• Jaime- I think you just need to be honest. To be married in the Catholic church by lying about anything would really be a shame. Go in with total honesty.
    Anniversary
  • The meetings I had there were awful and when I wanted to schedule my wedding on a Friday they pulled up a spreadsheet of patron donations and said well you've only given x amount this year so why should we work hard to accomodate you. He also asked me if I was pregnant and when I said no he said if I find out you are I won't allow you to be married here. I finally got so sick of it all I left. Now I'm going through a different Catholic church that has been wonderful. Not all Catholic churches are like that so if its important to you I suggest trying another Catholic church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards