Not Engaged Yet
Options

Heirloom ring vs new ring

Hi ladies... back from our big vacay back home and bf and I asked our family for blessing so we can get engaged.. yay! :) In addition, bf's mom sent him a pic of the heirloom rings they have in the family.. they are nice, but unfortunately they are yellow gold! I've always loved the idea of heirloom rings (the women in my family have quite a bit of fancy rings but nothing practical to wear as an engagement ring, save for my mom's e-ring which is SUPER tiny and broken :/) Bf and I have been discussing rings at length, and I've decided I wanted something unique and different, reasonable price and hopefully ethical (if new). I used to love cushion cut/halo style rings but now I see them everywhere and want something special. I do have an old e-ring from 10 years ago, but I certainly know I can't have the same design!

While I would love to take an heirloom ring (the history of it is more important to me than the looks) I can't get over the fact that it's yellow gold, especially since my mom's e-ring is white gold and I was planning on using the metals and diamond to fashion into a wedding band. I read that you can coat yellow gold in rhodium but it wears and the yellow shows through and requires more constant coating (just couldn't find an exact answer.. how often? months? years?). And bf is willing to purchase a new ring (I think he wants to propose on our next holiday which is coming soon, end of July) but I think we could use our funds elsewhere for now, even though the other option is still affordable.

Attached the pic.. I like both, I actually like the sapphire one quite a bit, just wouldn't know how to add a wedding band. In addition, I have been eyeing this beauty as well http://www.etsy.com/listing/98875883/14k-asscher-aquamarine-diamond?ref=usr_faveitems (aquamarine is his birthstone) although a wedding band to match would need to be made by the seller too...

Anyhow, just a bit of insight would help; I think I might be leaning toward a new ring. I could definitely wear the heirlooms but not an everyday, rest of my life sort of thing. I think I may have gone so far against what is popular that I can't figure out what I want now. :/

Re: Heirloom ring vs new ring

• Options
    I think (and someone please feel free to correct me) that all white gold is coated and needs re-dipping every so often, mostly dependent on how hard you are on your rings.
  • Options
    Hi ladies... back from our big vacay back home and bf and I asked our family for blessing so we can get engaged.. yay! :) In addition, bf's mom sent him a pic of the heirloom rings they have in the family.. they are nice, but unfortunately they are yellow gold! I've always loved the idea of heirloom rings (the women in my family have quite a bit of fancy rings but nothing practical to wear as an engagement ring, save for my mom's e-ring which is SUPER tiny and broken :/) Bf and I have been discussing rings at length, and I've decided I wanted something unique and different, reasonable price and hopefully ethical (if new). I used to love cushion cut/halo style rings but now I see them everywhere and want something special. I do have an old e-ring from 10 years ago, but I certainly know I can't have the same design!

While I would love to take an heirloom ring (the history of it is more important to me than the looks) I can't get over the fact that it's yellow gold, especially since my mom's e-ring is white gold and I was planning on using the metals and diamond to fashion into a wedding band. I read that you can coat yellow gold in rhodium but it wears and the yellow shows through and requires more constant coating (just couldn't find an exact answer.. how often? months? years?). And bf is willing to purchase a new ring (I think he wants to propose on our next holiday which is coming soon, end of July) but I think we could use our funds elsewhere for now, even though the other option is still affordable.

Attached the pic.. I like both, I actually like the sapphire one quite a bit, just wouldn't know how to add a wedding band. In addition, I have been eyeing this beauty as well http://www.etsy.com/listing/98875883/14k-asscher-aquamarine-diamond?ref=usr_faveitems (aquamarine is his birthstone) although a wedding band to match would need to be made by the seller too...

Anyhow, just a bit of insight would help; I think I might be leaning toward a new ring. I could definitely wear the heirlooms but not an everyday, rest of my life sort of thing. I think I may have gone so far against what is popular that I can't figure out what I want now. :/
    To the bolded: ouch. My engagement ring has a cushion-cut diamond with a halo and I think it's pretty damn special regardless of what any/every other woman has. 

It sounds like you really don't want any of the heirloom rings as your engagement ring and a custom ring would probably be best. Other than Etsy, there are also jewelers that can make you a custom ring from scratch so you will get exactly what you want. Good luck!

• Options
    I have an heirloom ring with a yellow gold band.  at first I did NOT like the yellow gold and I planned to have it coated in red or white gold.  but, as I wore it, I really fell in love with it as it is.  it is a special ring to me because it belonged to my great-great aunt.  her husband saved it after she died, and when I was born he gave it to my dad so I could one day wear it.  it was locked in a safe for more than 25 years.  I don't plan on getting it coated any time soon, or maybe at all!

also, my ring doesn't have a wedding band.  for a special anniversary we might get one custom made, but I like the skinny band on my short fingers and small hands.

I know you probably have a picture in your head of what you want; I did, too!  but you might want to just give something different a chance.  you might like it.

• Options
    We used the center stone from an heirloom ring (that had been my mom's) and had it set in a new setting.We had thought about having the ring dipped (as it was yellow gold) and thats just NMS. My new setting is white gold and I've had it for about 10 months, and its held up really well. I get it cleaned and checked out at the jeweler's about once a month, and they haven't recommended re-dipping it yet. I think the normal time frame is every 18 months or so. 

I really suggest going to a local jeweler (small, family owned are the best) and talk to them about your options. A good place will have a relationship with a custom jewelry designer, or maybe even have one on staff, that can talk you through all your options and answer all your questions! 

Oh, and just so you can see what putting a stone in a new setting can do to change the appearance of the stone:  image

This is the ring in the old setting (sorry Its so huge!)

And here it is in the new setting:

Photo

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My ring is a round stone in a white gold halo and I just love it.  We shopped around a lot and ended up purchasing from a local jeweler who has been in business over 100 years.  They recommend annual checks for prongs and reconditioning, which includes dipping in white gold.  Take your rings to a local jeweler and talk to them about what you'd ultimately like and see if the materials can be used in a new ring.  Then you'd have the best of both worlds.  

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    rdr716 said:
    To the bolded: ouch. My engagement ring has a cushion-cut diamond with a halo and I think it's pretty damn special regardless of what any/every other woman has. 

It sounds like you really don't want any of the heirloom rings as your engagement ring and a custom ring would probably be best. Other than Etsy, there are also jewelers that can make you a custom ring from scratch so you will get exactly what you want. Good luck!
    I should have reworded that.. I don't think any of those rings aren't special.. I guess what I meant to say is different. I still like halo rings but I want something different (and was also trying to find less popular designs as they might be a bit cheaper). My bf is quite money conscious and I'm really trying to follow that, which is why I'd choose a gemstone as the center stone instead of a diamond.

Lennon.. both rings are really beautiful, but I do prefer the new setting!

Thanks everyone for really great tips... I know I am sitting in one of the jewelry capitals of the world here in Dubai and we just need to go out and see what our options are in terms of customizing our jewelry. I have thought about just taking the ring for now and resetting it later. Bf's mom has the rings but they live on a boat and we won't see them till July, so will just have to see our options here for now...
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2013

I have an heirloom ring -- it was my grandma's wedding set. It's yellow gold, but I'm keeping it yellow gold during the engagement and having it re-cast in white gold to use as the wedding set instead of getting a wedding band. Perhaps you could do something like that?image

• Options
    I recently had my yellow gold birthstone ring rhodium plated. It looks beautiful and you'd never guess it was originally yellow. It also was a whopping $40, so even if you had to get it replated once a year, that's not terrible.

How long it lasts really depends on what you do with it. I take my rings off at night and don't put them on again until I get dressed. I don't wear them swimming, etc. I've had my white gold e-ring replated once so it would match the never-worn band, but it's been almost two years since the last plating. The underside has turned a warmer tone, and I might get it replated this September when I take it for its annual inspection.
  • Options
    ahstillwell - I LOVE your set!! It's stunning!! Good to hear that rhodium plating is cheap so it won't be bad to keep up.

I'm going to see the rings in July, so I think once I get a hold of them and see them in person I might be able to make a better decision. Thanks for all the tips. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards