Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wedding Food?

My Fiance is a very picky eater!!! We thought of having chicken tenders, mac and cheese, corn dogs, pizza, tater tots (buffet style). We are having out of town guests. Everyone who has asked has said we cant serve that. Is there something we should say on invite?

Re: Wedding Food?

• You can serve whatever you want; it's your wedding! You might want to throw in a couple of "extras" for people who are a little more health concious like a green salad or a bowl of fruit, but if the people coming are your friends and family, they probably know your eating habits already.
  • I wouldn't be super-excited by this menu, but it's your wedding, so technically you can serve what you want to serve...

I don't know if corn dogs will hold up on a buffet without the outsides getting soggy... but tater tots should be okay...

Maybe a compromise so that there are some things your FI will eat and other things that appeal to less picky eaters?  Mac and cheese is always a good side dish - you could serve that with a different kind of chicken...  And you could add some veggies or a salad in even if your FI doesn't eat them...

Generally it's rude to serve your guests one thing and yourselves something else, but I think in this case if you ordered chicken nuggets for your FI it would probably be okay - is it available as a kid's meal option with your caterer?

And pizza is a good "midnight snack" food if you're having an evening wedding...

• It's your wedding, so you can have whatever food you would like (as long as your caterer can make it or you are able to purchase it and bring it yourself). However, there's no rule that the bride and groom have to eat everything that's offered at their wedding. You could certainly offer some options that involve veggies, other proteins, etc. as long as there's also plenty available that your FI will eat. For example, FI and I both loathe mushrooms - but our salads will have mushrooms in them because we thought that particular salad option would appeal to the largest number of our guests. This isn't a problem, since the salads will be pre-plated before guests enter the reception, and they will then be eating them before we even enter. We'll just skip the salad and move on to the rest of dinner.
  • Ugh. the whole "IT'S YOUR WEDDING" thing is bogus.  It IS your ceremony, but the reception is for your guests.  I imagine most grown adults don't want to eat like a 5 year old.   I get that you want to eat like this, and maybe hit a drive through on the way home, but I would work on providing some grown up food for your wedding.
  • I agree that there are ways that you can incorporate the things you will eat with a variety of foods that guests will enjoy.  What about a simple roasted chicken instead of chicken tenders (even some of the pickiest eaters I know will make that trade), with macaroni and cheese as a side?  If it's a buffet, there shouldn't be a problem with adding things that he won't eat, like a couple vegetables, since he doesn't have to try them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Fiance is a very picky eater!!! We thought of having chicken tenders, mac and cheese, corn dogs, pizza, tater tots (buffet style). We are having out of town guests. Everyone who has asked has said we cant serve that. Is there something we should say on invite?

So you're going to have what is essentially a kid's menu because your FI is a picky eater?  I would seriously rethink this.  Can he eat ANY adult foods?  What does he do when he attends other formal events?
  • I think it's ok to have some of those items on the buffet, but I would include other foods that are more adult, even if your FI will not eat them.   I also like the suggestion of having some of the foods as a midnight snack.  A tater tots buffet (sweet potato and plain with a bunch of sauces) sounds like an awesome late night snack.  
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

You honestly should have food that doesn't resemble a 5 year old's birthday party. What about doing a pasta buffet?

2-3 "shapes" of pasta (spaghetti, penne, etc)

2-3 different sauces (alfredo, marinara, pesto, etc)

Meatballs, Grilled chicken, and/or Grilled shrimp

Garlic bread and/or breadsticks

Green salad

If you're doing a cocktail hour with appetizers, serve the chicken tenders there. Maybe mozzarella sticks, bruschetta, too.You could also do pizzas as a late night snack when guests get hungry from dancing!

• Listen to the other posters.  It is perfectly fine to include foods that your FI enjoys but you shouldn't be forcing your guests to eat nothing but tan colored kiddie food just because your FI is picky.  have the mac and cheese and maybe instead of corn dogs have pigs in blankets for the cocktail hour.  But you should really provide other options with some more substance like chicken, beef and a vegetarian dish (maybe eggplant parm) dish and definitely some veggies/salad.

And like someone else said, have the pizza as a "midnight snack".

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Meh, I personally don't consider pasta any more upscale or adult than chicken tenders, nor does the pasta buffet menu above provide for enough diversification, although it might be a good addition.  I agree with PP posters, you need to expand your menu, maybe add a few things that are more healthy and less processed.

Oh come on...really?!?

The food doesn't have to be upscale...it just has to look less like kindergarten class.

I've been to plenty of weddings with a pasta/Italian buffet.

• @Sleeper2013 since you consider spaghetti "kid food" then what do you consider non-kid food?  I have been to some great and fancy Italian restaurants and I can tell you that each and every one served spaghetti of some sort and no it was not only on the kids menu.

Now I do agree that spaghetti can be messy depending on the sauce but adults can usually control the strands so as to not splash themselves.  And only rude, poor mannered adults will slurp.  Do you just consider spaghetti kiddie or all pastas kiddie?

• Proof of St. Louis' superiority to KC. We have glorious Italian food. 
  • Proof of St. Louis' superiority to KC. We have glorious Italian food. 
    Who needs Italian when you've got BBQ?
    People who like to eat more than one type of cuisine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • plumanderplumander member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013

Proof of St. Louis' superiority to KC. We have glorious Italian food. 
    *eye roll*  Let me guess... you're on a coast?  East probably?
    *eye roll* Let me guess... you're not?
    *** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***
  • I'm confused, when did Italian become an East Coast thing? I live smack in the middle of cowboy country, and prefer it over BBQ. Some people just don't enjoy eating with their hands vs utensils.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Right, because only East Coasters would like to enjoy good food...
  • Dammit, now I'm fantasizing about a delicious garlic and seafood pasta with roasted red peppers and a basic olive oil sauce wih fresh grated parm. Arrrg, curse all of you!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• OP - I agree this sounds like a kid's menu. I'd feel like I got the kid's buffet  if I approached that table.

There was mac and cheese at the wedding I just went to, but it was a side served with baked chicken, summer vegetables, potatoes etc...

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• How is BBQ any less messy than pasta?

OP...you do kind of have a kids menu. I love the pasta bar idea. I wanted to do it at our wedding, but it wasnt an option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry OP - I'm going to go with the majority here and say this sounds like a kids' menu. How about a compromise? Get your FI's favorite food and have an awesome version of that. Then have everything else be crowd pleasing options. Keep in mind that even though it's "your day", the reception is about receiving and thanking your guests for sharing in the ceremony. 
    *********************************************************************************

• PDKH said:

Holla!!! Pastaria blew my mind...

• Also I love corn dogs, but I would feel ridiculous eating one at a wedding. I would take a picture of it and put it on Facebook, and not in a thumbs-up sort of way.
  • I'm from a coast! The Dirty Coast. And pasta is the bomb....INCLUDING Mac n' Cheese. And so is fried chicken. And pizza. As far as I am concerned OP should round the menu out with some salad, veggies, a leaner protein like roasted chicken, and maybe lose the corn dogs. But otherwise it looks tasty to me. And I'm a foodie.
  • blueobsidianblueobsidian member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    Not from the East Coast, sorry.  I just happen to love BBQ AND Italian food, and I love the diversity of food.  I also love Mexican, Thai, Indian, Japanese, and Greek food.  There is a whole world of tasty food out there, why limit yourself to one thing?

The snarky eye roll only makes you look like a jerk, by the way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can serve whatever you want, but depending on the kind of wedding you're having, I would probably side-eye that menu for a wedding. I have never met a more freakishly picky eater than myself, and even I managed to eat "adult" food at our wedding. Surely there are some grown up foods he likes? 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Meh, I personally don't consider pasta any more upscale or adult than chicken tenders, nor does the pasta buffet menu above provide for enough diversification, although it might be a good addition.  I agree with PP posters, you need to expand your menu, maybe add a few things that are more healthy and less processed.
    Sleeper2013 If you consider something like spaghetti primavera or gnocchi with a pesto or marinara sauce to be as adult and upscale as chicken tenders then you are either crazy or have never had good Italian food. 

I live in Kansas.  What do you think?
    I'm thinking you have no clue what you are talking about when dissing Italian cuisine.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Definitely skip the corn dogs and possibly the tater tots too, and add some veggies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards