Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Went wedding dress shopping this weekend

edited June 2013 in Nevada-Las Vegas
It was a LOT of fun - but also kind of frustrating!

It's a bit early to be dress shopping, since we haven't booked a venue, but there was an Ivy&Aster trunk show in town and I just couldn't pass up on a great opportunity (shockingly, there are no salons that carry Ivy & Aster's bridal collection in ALL of Illinois!). The dresses were AWESOME... but HEAVY and HOT- I quickly realized that there were very few options that would work in an outdoor Vegas ceremony!

In the end my favorite was a lighter ballgown in silk chiffon called Griffin. I thought $2,000 was a little steep for such a simple design but at least I know I really like that fabric. I found out that J Crew has several silk chiffon dresses and they look like they have fewer layers. Fortunately they have a store here with some of the dresses so I'm going to make an appointment.

Any other fabric suggestions/styles/designers that you'd recommend for the heat?

Re: Went wedding dress shopping this weekend

• Options
    I don't have any suggestions but here in the UK I have been told that most bridal shops will have a once a year sale that they don't publicise unless you ask about it. If you're early with your dress shopping, use that to your advantage, ask around to find out when the sales are and try and get the dress then.
  • Options
    Oh, thanks for the tip! If I end up going with a bridal shop, I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if most shops tend to have sales at the same time and when?
  • Options
    so much fun! another detail, i found, when i was trying mine on both for the first time and then the subsequent fittings, that i sweat like a mofo underneath - so i was really worried about that for the big day - and on the day of? Nothing! So I don't know what the difference was, but i was literally dripping at the wedding dress salon, but nothing at all when it really mattered, even in the vegas heat

My dress was silk and i added a nylon crinoline 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my god the sweat! I was SO embarrassed - I made the excuse that I got a little soggy from it raining outside, but it is shocking how warm and sweaty I got. I thought it was just because I was trying to squeeze into sample dress sizes. They honestly hung a size 6 sample and I'm more like a 12... yeah. not happening.

Was the nylon crinoline scratchy/uncomfortable?
  • Options
    the nylon was super soft - in fact, that's why i picked nylon! The regular lining is the hard scratchy kind, but this was super soft. I was worried that by picking the soft, that it was the source of the sweat lol. But it was all ok! I had them remove the stiff crinoline that came with the dress and i bought the softer one separate from an etsy vendor - http://www.swankunderpinnings.com/

i almost felt like i was peeing myself with all the sweat dripping down my legs lol so you are not alone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about BHLDN, I love so many of their dresses. Being in the UK it was never going to be easy for me to order from them (import tax would have been around 30% of the price of the dress) but it didn't stop me looking.
  • Options
    @spoon1984: I did actually stop in at the BHLDN store! I *like* a lot of their dresses but they're a bit exposed and ornate for my personal style.

I'm going into J Crew tomorrow night! I adore a lot of their dresses, and I have the suspicion that some of their styles will actually look better on a curvier person than their models online.
  • Options
    spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I really like J Crews dresses aswell, they have lovely clean lines, there's something very stylish/ sophisticated about them. Happy shopping and good luck!
  • Options
    BHLDN has a deco dress that I love! But was over my dress budget...
  • Options
    I want to buy about 5 of the dresses from BHLDN! One for my wedding, one for my rehearsal/meet & greet and then 3 others to wear on other occasions!! But like @spoon1984 being in the UK the cost was just too much, especially if I needed to return one and get another size. They have the 'Kathryn' dress in their sale right now which I LOVE, they don't have my size but if they did it would be very difficult to resist buying it.....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • Options
    mnuppmnupp member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Have you BHLDN-lovers looked at Tradesy? If you know your size, there are a lot of gently  used dresses on there for 30-50% ... and you UK could probably negotiate shipping with the seller. (I have a BLHDN sash on there right now, that's what made me think of it.)

If you decide to try it, you can get $15 off your order with this referral code:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards