Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Okay ladies, I sincerely need some advice from anyone who's been married or knows someone who has been married at white rock lake.

I am NOT looking to rent out winfrey point or big thicket. I want to do my ceremony out doors around the lake and the reception out doors also. now heres where I get confused.

I spoke with the office of white rock lake and they said pretty much anywhere around the lake is up for grabs. now the lady I spoke with really didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about. she told me just to walk around pick a spot and tell them where it was. now ive never been to white rock lake but howwww exactly am I supposed to just chose a spot in a park and tell them exactly where it is? are they just expecting me to describe the general area and they will just know where im talking about.. I knowwwww that sounds confusing, but I seriously need help. also, I find it a little hard to believe you can rent any part of the parks, just because when you look for pictures online there is only ONE place people tend to choose It looks like. ugh. anyways im so lost. ive never been to white rock I don't know which parts of the lake are more open/available etc.

problem number too. when I asked about holding a reception in the same outdoor area we have our wedding I was told she wasn't sure about that. she said I may have to rent a pavilion for that, but she was pretty sure they didn't allow receptions out doors. now this may sound superficial but I DONT want my reception in a pavilion. I have a specific idea in my head. we have a very very small wedding (30 max) and we have just a few nicely set up tables for a 1 hour dinner as a substitute for a reception. like I said, she said she was pretty sure they didn't allow that but ive looked at "real weddings" from white rock lake where you can see plenty of pictures of receptions being held outdoors?!

guys if you have had a wedding or done more research than me on white rock please clue me in. what side of the lake should I be looking at?

can I really rent any open area around the lake? or does it have to be in a designated park?

can I hold the small reception I mentioned outdoors?

Re: I AM SO CONFUSED!

• 1) I really think you should reconsider the pavillion thing.  Even just a rented tent to provide a little shade.  Outdoor weddings + Texas + no relief from the heat is just a really terrible idea.

2) I really do think it's as simple as looking around and finding a spot that you like.  Keep in mind that they won't block the area off or anything, meaning people who are out at the lake for whatever reason can stumble upon your wedding at any moment.  There are tons of outdoor weddings/indoor receptions at White Rock, so it shouldn't be an issue, but if your dream is privacy and seclusion, you won't get it.
    Anniversary

• What time of year are you wanting to get married? That will have a lot to do with the way I would address an outdoor wedding and reception. March, April, October and early November are really the only times that I would feel comfortable planning one, and even then you need a plan B.

I recommend going to White Rock Lake first. Since you've never been, I can see where a lot of your confusion is coming from. Walk around, check out the pavilions, and I bet you'll have a clearer vison of what kind of space you're working with. To envision the setup of an area that you've never even seen is impossible.

• we are getting married in the month of November.
  • The roads around White Rock Lake that are accessible by car are either W Lawther or E Lawther. You should be able to drop a pin in your location to let them know. I would also be very aware of parking, especially on a Saturday. If there is any sort of event going on, you're going to be screwed. I go to the lake a few times a week, and there have been Saturdays where I have turned around and gone home (March of Dimes is my worst nightmare - sorry). I would HIGHLY recommend googling your date + White Rock Lake to see if anything comes up. 

Unless you are providing your own picnic tables, it will be hard to find a cluster at the lake. They are very spread out. If you can post a picture of what you're looking at, I can probably identify where it is at the lake, and give you some more information on parking and location, especially before you drive out there. 

It's also worth mentioning that November is one of my favorite times of year out at the lake, and there will most likely be a TON of people out there. I love it when it's crowded, but just something to keep in mind.

I am very familiar with the lake, I live nearby, and I was there this morning to work out, and will be there tonight (seriously). You can PM me, or I can answer questions here that you have about the lake. Good luck!

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013

Here is a similar thread which might help a little.

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/24866

Here is a map of the lake and other contact info.

http://www.whiterocklake.org/?page_id=498

I think the getting married casually by the lake part is ok but I would really re-think the reception idea. I can think of a lot of problems logistics-wise.  Remember you don't just have to rent tables and chairs--you need napkins, glassware, plates, forks, a place to put the food, serving utensils, a way to serve the food, bathroom facilities, trashcans, drinks, ice, parking--I mean, the list is endless.  How are the delivery people going to find the place, how/when is it going to be set up/broken down/taken away, etc.  What if it rains, what about wind, what if it's freezing?  I got married 11/7/09 and our first anniversary it was freezing cold and we were like, oh man, good thing it wasn't like this last year.  There are just so many "what ifs" with your plan that you really need to think about. 

How about doing the casual ceremony and then just having dinner together at a nice restaurant?  That could be a nice compromise and much easier on you as well. 

I have yet to see an outdoor reception at WRL.  Also be aware that those "casual" outdoor weddings most likely involved a wedding planner and lots and lots of coordination and help.

ETA:  Another thing I wanted to mention was lighting--Daylight savings ends the first weekend of November so it will be completely dark by 7:00.

• If you are looking for something casual, and I know this sounds crazy because it is such a super casual place, but The Lot has one of my favorite patios in Dallas and it is seconds away from WRL. (Gaston and Garland Rd.). Might be worth looking into, because by the time you rent/hire vendors for all the items above, you might actually save money by looking into a restaurant. Times Ten Cellars is also nearby and they actually have private rooms. 

Most of the receptions I have seen by the lake at WRL have been using the lawns of Filter Building, Winfrey Point, or the Arboretum. 
  • Here is a local wedding that was featured on Style Me Pretty.  It's the ceremony only but you might be able to get some inspiration from it.  It says the venue was a private residence so unfortunately that's not much help.  But it might have some of the look you are going for.

http://www.stylemepretty.com/texas-weddings/2013/03/26/handmade-texas-wedding-from-mcgowan-images-2/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards