• Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Plus-Sized

Nervous and excited!

OneLuckyNurseOneLuckyNurse member
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
edited June 2013 in Plus-Sized
My wedding is June 7th 2014 and I just made my first apt. to go dress shopping at DB  with my Mom :) I'm excited and really nervous. I'm a sze 16-18 and now that they will have dresses to fit me, i'm just hoping that I will feel confident in them. Any tips, advice or encouragement for a girl trying on a dress for the first time? Thanks :)

Visit The Knot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nervous and excited!

• Take water with you!!!  I get super dry and HOT when trying dresses on.

Try on all different styles!  I never thought fit and flare would work for me (size 16-18) and they look the best.  A-line and ball gowns make me look 3 feet tall instead of just over 5 foot.

Have fun!!!  I have 2 years until my wedding and am enjoying every minute of dress shopping, since I will only get to do this once in my life!!
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2013
    think out of the box its your wedding day and the one and only day you can wear something fablous. 

dont let the sales lady pressure you a good one will know whats good on your body or what works for you.
     try on different styles to see what look good on you. 
    you may not like the look of a fit and flair or something with lots of pickups on the bottom more fuller but try them on anyways
    dont settle for just any dress if you are unsure shop around not sure of your budget but there are plenty of mom and pop bridal shops that have gowns under 1000 the dress i fell in love with is only 850 its a morliee  plus she had so many dresses for me to try on over 13. if you do decided to check out other places call to see if they have plus size samples in stock for you 

i went to one place and i have another apoinment this weekend someplace else to see how those gowns will look on me diffrent designers..  

but if you really love a gown at db and there is nothing else you would want i say go for it.

• My wedding is June 7th 2014 and I just made my first apt. to go dress shopping at DB  with my Mom :) I'm excited and really nervous. I'm a sze 16-18 and now that they will have dresses to fit me, i'm just hoping that I will feel confident in them. Any tips, advice or encouragement for a girl trying on a dress for the first time? Thanks :)

Another vote for trying on different styles. You will not know what it looks like on you until you try it on.  Dresses look very different on different body shapes.

Bring water, and a hair tie (if your hair is long).  It gets hot in those dresses.

DB will want to put you in one of their longline bras so they can sell it to you after.  If you have a strapless bra, wear it and some shapewear (spanx or just some control top panties) and skip the longline bra, unless you REALLY feel like you need it. Their bras are overpriced and not that high quality.

If you find a dress you love and you have the "moment", stop looking.  You will just confuse yourself and you'll end up here in a month having dress regreat and afraid you made the wrong decision.

And along those lines, if you don't have "the moment". The crying, say yes to the dress moment, don't be alarmed.  A LOT of brides don't have that moment.  Some do, but honestly, most don't.  They have a "oh, I love this dress, and it's in my budget" moment, more often than the "ohmygod, this is MY dress and it's what I was MEANT to wear" moment. 

• Thanks for the great advice everyone :) My first trip was definitely a success :) I was shocked how good I actually looked in the dresses. With the right fit, my waist appeared to shrink :) My attendant was lovely and so helpful. She had some great tips and suggestions :) I may have found my dress! EEEk but if nothing else I got a great idea of what I like and don't like ( If the "stuff" on the dress was any where near my hands I would play with it endlessly and my ring kept catching on a lace dress, so no to those) :)

Visit The Knot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards