Wedding Party
Options

MIA Maid of Honor

In a tricky situation I don't really know how to handle, and would love advice. (Sorry it's long.)

My fiance has two brothers who are both serving as best men, so I chose two maids of honor: one good college friend and one good high school friend who I've known forever and who I thought would be a great MOH. My high school friend currently lives in Ireland (and I'm in Washington DC), so we have always talked on the phone frequently or emailed, and see each other maybe once a year. Before my engagement, we were in contact probably once a week, or once every two weeks. I got engaged in December, and she started dating a guy not too long after, around January. Since the engagement, I have talked to her on the phone once, and she spent much of the call discussing what she plans to do at her wedding (although she is not engaged). She doesn't respond to frequent emails, texts, or Facebook posts, and they have not all been wedding related--my most recent one was just to check in and say that I hope things were going well for her. I'm very relaxed about this wedding and do not expect a lot from my MOHs or BMs, but I also didn't expect to be ignored. (And wedding aside--this would bother me even if I wasn't planning a wedding.)

She will not be able to attend the rehearsal dinner because her flight gets in that night. I'm slightly annoyed by that, because she has known the wedding date since December, but I didn't say anything about it. The problem is, we are having a Catholic mass and those ceremonies require the maid of honor to stand up front/participate in the marriage ceremony. So she won't be able to do that. I'm so grateful that I have a second MOH who has been amazing, but I am so frustrated with my other friend. I miss talking to her and I'm sad that she's been absent from a big part of my life. I guess I'll just have to send her a hearfelt email trying to figure out what the issue is, but since I feel like she's either (a) jealous that I am going to be married soon or (b) ignoring me in favor of her boyfriend, I feel disingenuous to pretend like I'm trying to figure out her radio silence.

I also feel like it's disrespectful to my other MOH, who has put so much time and effort into helping me with things and just offering support. My Ireland friend also does not respond to the other MOH. I'm also sad that, just as I thought I would be honored to have her stand up as my MOH, she doesn't seem to care that it is also an honor to be asked to be a MOH.

So I guess my question is, what is a tactful way of bringing up the fact that I am greatly hurt (but also very frustrated) by her sudden silence, and my confusion over her role? I am so confused about having her listed as a MOH because her role will be no different than a normal bridesmaid (and has actually been less than what other BMs have been doing), and she is unresponsive about things I need answers to (like whether I need to set aside time for a speech). I try to be as prepared for things as possible, and, just as an example, she has not told me whether she bought the BM dress or whether she does or doesn't want to give a speech. I don't expect a speech, but since I've heard nothing, is it safe to assume that she is not giving one? I have vendors asking me about schedules for the dinner, and it's becoming stressful. Also, do I need to buy a backup bridesmaid dress for her? Just things like this are driving me crazy.

I understand we are on different schedules, but she is very active on Facebook and has no problem pinning 50 wedding dresses/other wedding things on her wedding pinterest page, so that just adds insult to injury, at least in my mind.

I hope I'm not becoming a bridezilla/super self-centered. I don't think I am, but I just don't even know where to start with this. Please tell me if I'm being a crazy. Or give me ideas on how to handle this and avoid wedding day drama. Thanks!

Re: MIA Maid of Honor

• Options
    What exactly does she have to do at the ceremony besides just stand there, smile and be in her dress? You have to remember that nobody is ever going to be as excited for your wedding as you are. I know it sucks that she isnt responding to anything, but I wouldn't worry about it. All she has to do is be there on the day of the wedding, dressed appropriately, and stand by your side. I suggest that if you really want to know whats going on with her, try to talk to her without bringing anything about your wedding up. Just let her know you are trying to be a friend, not someone who is only concerned with her wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Odd, my experience (and our wedding) is completely different. The MOHs/BM stay up front with the bride and groom, holds the groom's/bride's ring, and just plays a role in the orchestration of being up front that requires a little more practice. (The other BMs/BM go and sit in the front row of pews; it's different for the MOH/BM.)
  • Options
    If you want to talk to her about missing her and thinking she is kind of rude for not responding to contact, that's one thing. But I'm not quite sure what special role she has to have in the Catholic ceremony, so I would leave that out b/c I think all she has to do is show up. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Sierra, that is what I have been trying to do over the last five and a half months. As I said, my most recent email said, "Hey, what's new with you? I hope things are great, I saw some pictures posted on Facebook, would love to talk about everything new with you if you have a chance. It's been a while!" I have mentioned the wedding to her probably two or three times.

I don't know what more I can do, short of flying to Ireland and sitting on her doorstep...hence the frustration.
  • Options

I was born and raised Catholic and in a Catholic wedding and I don't recall any special role either? Are you sure it's not just your priest who is requiring this?

For the Catholic wedding I was in, all we did at the rehearsal was walk down the aisle and to the side. Literally.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Odd, my experience (and our wedding) is completely different. The MOHs/BM stay up front with the bride and groom, holds the groom's/bride's ring, and just plays a role in the orchestration of being up front that requires a little more practice. (The other BMs/BM go and sit in the front row of pews; it's different for the MOH/BM.)

No, there is no practice needed.  She stands or sits up front with you.  She smiles, she holds your flowers, she fluffs your train, she holds the rings (unless you have the best man do it instead).  That is it.  This does not need practice.  I have been to plenty of Catholic weddings (and been in one too) and this is how it goes all of the time.  If she can't make it to the rehearsal then she can just be filled in by the church coordinator the next day.

As for her lack of communication I don't know, maybe she is just spending a lot of time with her new boyfriend and between that and work she just hasn't had much time.  Not saying that is right but sometimes life takes over and you just don't realize that a month has gone by without so much as a phone call to your bestie.

I don't know what kind of support or help you expect her to give you when she lives across the Atlantic.  But she is going to be there for your wedding day and that should be enough, because that day is the most important.

• Options
    Someone held my ring and bouquet, too. It's not complicated. They just stand there and hold and hand you stuff. A monkey could do it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ok, I didn't think I was. I am just nervous about having an unprepared person up there who has not practiced handing over the rings for blessing/etc. The church ceremony means a lot to me, that's all.
  • Options
    Ok, I didn't think I was. I am just nervous about having an unprepared person up there who has not practiced handing over the rings for blessing/etc. The church ceremony means a lot to me, that's all.

Seriously? 

Step one: hold rings. 

Step two: when priest ask for the rings hand him the rings. 

Step three: smile for the camera.

• Options
    Also, incredibly unfair to say that I'm using the catholic mass as a cop out. I AM concerned about the orchestration of standing up front and blessing the rings/handing them off. In my mind, it's a big deal and something I want to practice. I guess I'm wrong about that, but yikes! Thanks for all the input. Here's to it all just going smoothly.
  • Options
    I guess my point is, why have a rehearsal at the church if it doesn't actually need to be rehearsed? That's my concern. I didn't realize I was so wrong.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you! So aside from the ceremony part, then, is it reasonable for me to assume that she won't be giving a speech/not reserve time for her to give a speech?

My other MOH told me that she wanted to give a speech, so I've passed that information along to the vendors/"emcee" guy. I don't want any awkwardness/panics if my unresponsive one wants a speech/expects to have time to give one.

As for the dress, I guess I just have to hope she has it, right? I'm just tired of sending emails, texts, posts and making phone calls that go unanswered, no matter what the topic is.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    Someone held my ring and bouquet, too. It's not complicated. They just stand there and hold and hand you stuff. A monkey could do it. 

A Muppet Overlord  would find a money to do it for you.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Ok, thank you! So aside from the ceremony part, then, is it reasonable for me to assume that she won't be giving a speech/not reserve time for her to give a speech?

My other MOH told me that she wanted to give a speech, so I've passed that information along to the vendors/"emcee" guy. I don't want any awkwardness/panics if my unresponsive one wants a speech/expects to have time to give one.

As for the dress, I guess I just have to hope she has it, right? I'm just tired of sending emails, texts, posts and making phone calls that go unanswered, no matter what the topic is.

Ok, take a deep breath.  You really need to stop stressing/overthinking all of this.  Did you provide your friend with the dress info?  If so, then leave it.  She is a big girl and I am sure she can buy the dress without you checking in on her.

As for the speech, if she wants to give one she will let you know.  If she doesn't that is fine too.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    lol, ok, ok. I really am not a control freak, I swear! I just haven't heard anything from her one way or another about the dress (she didn't even put in a vote for which one she wanted, because I gave them two choices), so I was worried. The worry with the speech is just because the vendors have been asking for a timeframe for planning out dinner service and all the other things that go on during the reception, and I've felt silly hemming and hawing over her speech or non-speech. At this point, I guess I'm just going to give them a time frame that doesn't include a speech for her.

You guys must think I'm a stressball psycho after all this.
  • Options
    No.  This feels more like you're stressed because you think you might be losing a friend, but it's transferring into wedding stress because you're in the thick of planning and that's a huge focus for you.  No need to get stressed.  It sounds like she has her travel arrangements booked, so she'll be there. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that she doesn't give a speech. Doesn't sound all that bad to me!
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Also, incredibly unfair to say that I'm using the catholic mass as a cop out. I AM concerned about the orchestration of standing up front and blessing the rings/handing them off. In my mind, it's a big deal and something I want to practice. I guess I'm wrong about that, but yikes! Thanks for all the input. Here's to it all just going smoothly.

@mariakhristine, I'm late to the party here and most everyone has answered you properly.

Just wanted to add that we had a Catholic wedding. And a rehearsal. And our best man ("the ring holder") was at said rehearsal. Guess what? He still screwed up when it was time for the ring blessing during the actual ceremony. Everyone cracked up and it was a great, real moment.

You'll be fine.

• Options
    I messed up our vows during our ceremony even though we had rehearsed the night before. That's us all laughing in that moment in my sig pic on the right. Things happen, and they actually improve the experience, in my opinion. 

• Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Love the ring story. Love.

Add another tic in the "Catholic wedding where MOH just held flowers and fixed train" column (and despite going to rehearsal, MOH still stepped on the front hem of her dress, yanking the dress's neckline down dangerously low. She managed to catch herself but she was just a hair short of falling forward and flashing both of her girls at our priest). And you said you have two MOH. Why not just have the MOH that can come to the rehearsal do that stuff and the other MOH just stand pretty?

Also, it's disappointing she can't make the rehearsal despite having a lot of notice, but transatlantic flights aren't cheap. It's quite possible there was just none that would get her in town in time that either didn't require her or her bf taking extra time off of work or cost an arm & a leg.

Your wedding will be fine. It's all good. :)
  • Options
    stantokmstantokm member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2013

I would have been freaking out over this, too, so I understand.  And as a BM, I'd be stressed if I missed the rehearsal because I'd want to know when I sit/stand/kneel and where my spot is.  Like the other ladies said, though, it's not a big deal.  Everything will work out even if there are some blips here and there.  Let things like this roll off your back and just breathe.  I spent the last couple of months leading up my wedding completely stressed about tons of of small things like this and in the end none of them mattered.  It'll all be okay and after the wedding you'll laugh at how concerned you were about this.

ETA: Tell your DJ that you don't know if she'll be giving a toast.  She can let him know when she gets to the reception if she is.  DJs are good at going with the flow and it won't affect timing unless she goes for a 10-20 minute speech.  Which would be insane.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone on here. Just relax and take a deep breath. This should be a happy time for you. As far as speeches go, it shouldn't be more than a couple of minutes, so surely it wouldn't be a crisis if she did end up wanting to give a quick speech.  None of the guests will know if she was or wasn't supposed to give one. It's definitely hard to keep good friendships when you are so far away. My best friend since middle school lives 13 hours away, back in my home state, and sometimes it is hard to find time to talk with each other. But we always get it figured out. You will too. Relax and have fun with your friends and family that are around, and take it one day at a time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards