Attire & Accessories Forum

Would this look tacky?

So I have my bridesmaids wearing the following dress for my wedding on December 27th of this year (evening wedding, all taking place in the same hall)...My question is, the dress will be in an indigo color (Alfred Angelo...like a deep periwinkle blue), and I am curious if it would look tacky if they were to wear dark red heels?  Their bouquets will have very dark red roses with blue hydrangeas.  Do you think this would look tacky?  My dress has the same blue color embroidery and I was going to wear the same shoes...

TIA!! :)

Pam

Re: Would this look tacky?

• Something close to this red color...not the exact shoe, but the color... :)

Wedding Shoes -- Scarlet Red Peeptoe Wedges with Matching Trio of Roses Adornment

• I don't know about tacky, but I don't think it would "go", or it might look like a 4th of July themed wedding.
  • I think it would look like 4th of July. Andplusalso, if you want specific shoes, you need to pay for it. Unless its something neutral like nude or black. 
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Please let them wear whatever shoes they want. Like others have said, you can specify a neutral color like black, silver, or nude.

No one will notice your bridesmaids' shoes. I promise.

• I don't think blue and red really go together. Even in December, I would think the outfits look very "4th of July-ish." I would just stick to neutral colored shoes like nude or silver.
  • SandraSandra member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I most agree with the others, the red is not combining well with blue. No matter what people say, they should not go together.

Why instead of red shoes, red lips, or your bouquet of red roses and the bridesmaids white?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I dont think it will match. I think a nude shoes would be better.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'd go with white or black shoes, and then you can wear blue shoes that pop with the bridesmaids. I also agree with the others- red and blue don't coordinate well. 

Also, where do you live? Short, sleeveless dresses on December 27th? I understand it is inside, but I'd be cold in that dress. It's not very winter-wedding like.

• Nobody is going to think "fourth of July in December. OH MY GOD!!!" unless they have entirely too much time on their hands.  Dictating shoes is micromanaging, though.  A bride shouldn't dictate footwear and jewelry unless she's willing to pay for it.

That dress is very skimpy for a December wedding, unless you live in a warm area.

well, based on this thread alone, I think you might be incorrect. OHMYGOD!    When I see red, white & blue together, that's pretty much my first thought.  I don't have to sit with a lot of time on my hands and think, hmmmmmm, what does this remind me of? 

I'm guessing brides' dress is white or ivory, and at most weddings, there is other white there.   I don't typically think of white as part of the color scheme, it's just a neutral. But, if everything else is red & blue, and then the addition of white, yeah... fourth of july.

• ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    @FierceFemme

I'm not a huge fan of the combo, but this doesn't scream 4th of July to me. Maybe because I'm from New England and a lot of our sports colors are red, white, and blue. And her color dress is more of a periwinkle - so even less "America Blue"

Anniversary
  • ashleyep said:
    @FierceFemme

I'm not a huge fan of the combo, but this doesn't scream 4th of July to me. Maybe because I'm from New England and a lot of our sports colors are red, white, and blue. And her color dress is more of a periwinkle - so even less "America Blue"

I actually think that little touch of orange and yellow in the bouquets helps offset the red. 
  • ToriJo87ToriJo87 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    My first reaction was that they wouldn't go well together. However, I when I looked at the above photos of the bridesmaids in blue dresses with red shoes I was pleasantly surprised. I happen to really like it! It's not something that, to me, *sounds* like they would look nice...but they do! Personally, I say "go for it!" :) As for looking like the 4th of July...heck no! No one is going to think that. I certainly don't think that when I look at those photos that others have posted to the discussion. 
  • ToriJo87 said:
    My first reaction was that they wouldn't go well together. However, I when I looked at the above photos of the bridesmaids in blue dresses with red shoes I was pleasantly surprised. I happen to really like it! It's not something that, to me, *sounds* like they would look nice...but they do! Personally, I say "go for it!" :) As for looking like the 4th of July...heck no! No one is going to think that. I certainly don't think that when I look at those photos that others have posted to the discussion. 

Same here.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I would stay away from red shoes for a blue dress unless you are going for an AMERICA theme...

agree with others. If you dictate shoes, you pay

• Not a fan of red shoes with a blue dress.  I think a nude (or any neutral) color shoe would go much better.  
  • I'm from Canada and it still made me think 4th of July....
  • Some of these responses made me giggle :)  I do agree, that if there are red shoes, I would absolutely pay for it.  In all honesty, it was just an idea, throwing it out there and hoping to get some opinions.  I definitely got 'em ;-)
    The blue in the picture really is not accurate, it is a deeper blue, like a periwinkle (but darker...hard to describe).  I thought it could be fun, but the more I think about it, after everyone's responses, I agree that they should just wear whatever they like.  And as for the length of the dress, I want my girls to like what they wear.  They liked that dress the best, it comes in a long length as well, so I would actually prefer the longer, as I would be super cold in a short dress too!  I think I am going to let them know that, actually.  haha
    Anyway, thank you everyone for your support and responses.  I just want this wedding to be a blast, and not to have a ton of stress over stupid shoes...I think I just had a reality check. ;-)
    Thank you!!!
    Pam
  • These are closer to my colors; however, the blue is a tad more rich. 
  • I think it could work if there were other colors incorporated into the bouquet, and I love @Pammie1983's combo above. However, I do agree with whoever mentioned it above that the bigger issue is that style dress in December. I'm not sure where your wedding is going to be, but even here in the Sonoran Desert I would freeze my tush of in those dresses. Have you considered a longer style? 
  • Absolutely!  And actually, after reading this thread, I sent out another message to the girls and that is what they all want!  I honestly love the long styles too, but who knows.  I want them to be happy and comfortable in what they are wearing, whatever they choose.  And thank you for your response!! :)
    Pam
  • I disagree that you would need to purchase red shoes for your bridesmaids, as long as you're not too picky about the exact shade, since red is a pretty common color for shoes. I wear my three pairs of red heels with just about anything, and my cousin is having us wear midnight blue dresses with red shoes for her wedding this December. She wants poinsettias in our bouquets, and they are part of our church's traditional Christmas decorations.

But if you do go with long dresses, the shoes will not matter so much because they'll barely show.
  • I disagree that you would need to purchase red shoes for your bridesmaids, as long as you're not too picky about the exact shade, since red is a pretty common color for shoes. I wear my three pairs of red heels with just about anything, and my cousin is having us wear midnight blue dresses with red shoes for her wedding this December. She wants poinsettias in our bouquets, and they are part of our church's traditional Christmas decorations.

But if you do go with long dresses, the shoes will not matter so much because they'll barely show.
    I completely disagree that red is a "pretty common color for shoes." You may own 3 pairs, but I'm the only one in my group of friends who owns a pair of red heels.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I completely disagree that red is a "pretty common color for shoes." You may own 3 pairs, but I'm the only one in my group of friends who owns a pair of red heels.
    I would buy a pair of red shoes if the bride asked for it. But I don't think I have a single piece of red in my wardrobe and I would never wear them again. I agree with you, it's not very common, and I would stick with a neutral color if you're going to ask the girls to wear a particular color.
    Anniversary
  • In the photo that was posted showing the look together, my eyes were drawn imediately to their feet, not their face, dress or flowers. Which is probably what will also happen when you look at your wedding pictures. Their feet will stand out over everything else. What about a more neutral color for shoes & then you can always gift them red slippers, flats or even flipflops to relax in at the reception for dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards