Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Philadelphia themed reception

Does anyone have any great ideas they would like to share for a city themed reception? I have a lot of ideas already, but always looking for more. We took engagement photos downtown (using them for the guestbook) and are taking our wedding photos at LOVE Park, etc. Planning on buying both a bride and groom and LOVE cake topper (so we can stand the B&G in front of the LOVE..to look like they are standing in front of it). We did Phillies schedule calendars as STDs.

Trying to think of what else we are doing, feels like I am forgetting everything off of the top of my head. I am buying Philadelphia silly bandz for the DJ to hand out to the kids (or adults) during dancing. Was thinking of getting soft pretzels for guests to take home at the end of the night but am worried about the freshness. Ceremony starts at 12 pm with pictures in between and reception will last until 11 pm so it is a long day.

Anyone have any ideas at all? Specifically looking for songs we could play (during our entrance maybe) and favor ideas even though I kind of have a favor plan but not sure if it is going to work out the way I want it to...

Thank you so much!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Philadelphia themed reception

• Options

"Name" your tables instead of number them and use Philly street signs?

A songs by any Philly Native.
    I'm doing the Rocky Theme song for the 'introducing' the bridal bouquet toss.

I'll keep thinking for ya..

imageimageimage

March 2013 Board February Siggy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lauren & William
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 152 Invited so far!
    image 100 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image 28 Are MIA!
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I had soft pretzels delivered at the end of the night. My reception was over at 11Pm and they showed up at 10:30 or so. We used Pretzel Factory and as long as they had a few weeks notice, they made arrangements for someone to come in and bake them and drop them off after hours and it wasn't expensive- I think they charged like $20 extra for the hassle. I used the location in Horsham but I am sure more do it.

As far as songs.. .maybe the Mummer's strut song? That normally livens up a Philly's crowd :)

As far as favors- I got one once that was a coaster with the "LOVE" logo. It was really cute and we still use them.

have fun with it :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

You could give out the liberty bell as a favor or as a place card holder + favor... i also saw someone on this board having the "Love"-park sign as their cake topper. If you're a Phillies fan, then maybe buy a custom Phillies shirt with your last name, then frame it, then use it as your guestbook (have guests sign their names around the shirt or on the shirt)... another idea would be serving little cheesesteaks during cocktail hour, serve italian ice cream as dessert, etc... if budget is no issue, then hire the Phillies fanatik for an appearance at your reception... i'm not sure, how much they charge you though... if you need more ideas, let me know... i'll come up with more :)

Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Our guestbook is done already, but that's a cute idea!! We actually ordered custom Phillies shirts for our engagement photos with our names and wedding date on the back - I wore 11 (November) and he wore 24. We are getting the LOVE cake topper already. And the Phanatic is cute haha, I actually know a couple who had him come to theirs!! Not sure how much he costs, but the bride got it as a surprise for the groom because he is such a fan. We do have mini cheesesteaks on our au d'oeuvre list so I am excited about that. I did look into the LOVE symbol place card holders, but not sure yet if we are going to do them or something else. Couldn't find liberty bell ones.

Jenmac - thanks for the input, I didn't even think about getting them delivered! I wonder if we would be able to set them up on a table as guests leave. Or even if we have them at the hotel afterwards for the people who come back (who are mostly OOTers and don't get to have soft pretzels like ever!)

We are doing names instead of table numbers, that was one thing I forgot to mention. But not street names, we are just doing locations, like LOVE Park, Citzen's Bank Park, Independence Hall, etc. Trying to decide now if I will just have the names written on a card on the table, or a picture of the actual place, or a picture of us at that place?? We would have to go around and take a few pics though.

I am thinking maybe "Motown Philly" during some part of the reception, haha. Not sure if during the entrance or during another part... Maybe while the bridal party is coming out and then something different for me and FI.

Thanks so much for the ideas girls! keep them coming if you think of anything else :) I know I am constantly thinking of new things... and then I get way more excited about it than FI does.. haha oh well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are having a Philly themed wedding also... We are doing ceremony programs made to look like the Philadelphia Inquirer, reception tables to be named after major landmarks (Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross's House, South Street, etc.), Favors are soft prezels and a bottle of water. Oh and for place cards at cocktail hour we are having old skeleton keys (because Ben Franklin flew the kite with one, not sure if people will pick that up tho lol ).  I too am looking for a couple more things..... I was thinking about tastycakes or peanut chews....
  • Options

My favors are Philly-themed chocolates from this place: http://www.marcieblaine.com/

I'm also taking a Philly skyline poster and cutting it into place cards. Here's where I got the idea from: http://sites.google.com/site/januarybride/diy

Anniversary
  • Options
    I made liberty bell table number holders.   Pictures in my bio under DIY.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    fyi Phillie Phanatic costs $600 for 40 minutes!  There is also no guarantee he'll come because if the Phillies have a last minute event that he needs to be at, that takes priority. Yikes!
  • Options
    kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    That's a lot for the Phanatic, the couple I know who had him at their wedding though said he was only expected to stay an hour but he stayed the whole time, so maybe it depends on what kind of mood he is in haha. I don't know if I would want him there the whole time... I feel like it would take focus away from me and FI on our day...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Where did you get the inqiurer programs from? I LOVE that idea. Our wedding is totally Phlly themed as well--we have the liberty bell and independence hall on our invites. 
  • Options
    There is a city invitation place (in Fishtown?) that does invitations w/ the Philly skyline on the bottom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards