Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

any cake bakers out there need advice on design

so i am a cupcake baker me and cakes just dont work but i can take a cupcake fill it with something amazing pipe buttercream swirls or roses and make it look all blinged out.. 

for my wedding though its june of 2014 a summer beach themed. i like the ombre designs and i like the roses covering the whole cake my colors are teal/turqouise and silver. and my flowers are gerbera daisies but me and my sister will have baby roses in our buquets ( shes my moh)

i was thinking one tier covered in teal tourqouise and sliver
one tier in ombre with teal and ivory  ( color of my dress is ivory
and my last tier would be in ivory with a starfish a sand dollar and some various seashells 

need some advice from any professional cake bakers on the idea to much wont work 
thoughts

Re: any cake bakers out there need advice on design

• I'm a professional pastry chef, and wedding cakes as a whole are a lot of work. I'm trying to picture your design, and I can't really see it all working together in my head. I think I see the flow you're trying to get though! My advice would be to simplify your design to provide the cake with more overall flow. All ombre would look nice with a few beach themed items or flowers on the top tier or you could do a simple ivory icing or fondant with a cascade of gerbera daisies down the side or swirling across the cake. Another idea might be to do a simple ivory design on the tiers with ribbons on the bottom of the tiers in your wedding colors and a coordinating cluster of daisies on top. Roses would be nice too. The reason I suggest the daisies more than the roses though are for overall synergy to the rest of the ceremony/reception (and they're cheaper generally).

A more simplified design would make it easier for you to make (I'm assuming you are making it yourself) and to fix any minor problems that occur during transport. If you're not making it yourself, the simplified design is also going to cut down on the cost of getting someone else to do it.

• kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm not a professional, but I agree that it needs to be simpler. What about something like this? You could replace the boat with a starfish or a sand dollar. http://alittlesomethingsweet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Nautical-Ombre-Wedding-Cake.jpg
  • AmyS2645 said:

I'm a professional pastry chef, and wedding cakes as a whole are a lot of work. I'm trying to picture your design, and I can't really see it all working together in my head. I think I see the flow you're trying to get though! My advice would be to simplify your design to provide the cake with more overall flow. All ombre would look nice with a few beach themed items or flowers on the top tier or you could do a simple ivory icing or fondant with a cascade of gerbera daisies down the side or swirling across the cake. Another idea might be to do a simple ivory design on the tiers with ribbons on the bottom of the tiers in your wedding colors and a coordinating cluster of daisies on top. Roses would be nice too. The reason I suggest the daisies more than the roses though are for overall synergy to the rest of the ceremony/reception (and they're cheaper generally).

A more simplified design would make it easier for you to make (I'm assuming you are making it yourself) and to fix any minor problems that occur during transport. If you're not making it yourself, the simplified design is also going to cut down on the cost of getting someone else to do it.

i could never make my own wedding cake i am really good at cupcakes and cake pops but myc akes never really come out like i want them to need take some cake decorating classes.. the venue has a cake included in our package the more i was thinking about it the more i know it wont flow right.. i am leaning more towards seashells on the cake and a simpler design maybe some ombre 
  • You can buy these designs in royal icing and stick on your cake...cake suppliers store will have something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards