Moms and Maids
Options

Makeup uproar! Need advice, please

So, my fiance's cousin is a makeup artist.. let's call her Mary. She's a nice girl and we hang out sometimes. The Mother of the Groom will be using Mary for make up and someone else for hair. Mary does not do hair. My mother and I did a trial with Mary, and we didn't like her work. She is not willing to budge on price, even though we will be bringing her a lot of business, and heck, we are family/friends. I found another makeup artist who's work I really like. They also do hair AND makeup and gave me almost the same price as Mary did for makeup service. They gave us a lower rate for the size of our party and because we are doing hair and makeup. 

I ask my fiance's mother if she wants do go with the person I found (I don't want her to feel left out of the group!), I know it will open a can of worms... I'm not really sure how to approach the Mother of the Groom and Mary with my decision... Any suggestions?

Re: Makeup uproar! Need advice, please

• Options

I wouldn't ask if FI's mom wants to go with your person - she's happy with Mary and she's already chosen her.

If / when she asks, just tell her you were offered a better deal by the person who's doing your bridal party - you don't have to mention that you don't like Mary's style - you can just say it was a budget decision.

JMO!

Kim

• Options
    I agree with kryan. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Mary was treating you like a regular potential customer, which is fine. You are treating her like a vendor, also fine. Tell FMIL and Mary that you've compared services with a few different stylists and found a better deal for both hair and makeup for you and your wedding party.

• Options
    I agree as well. Don't make a big deal of it, and it won't turn into one. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Tell Mary that you just want her to relax and have fun on the wedding day, and that you don't want her to be worrying about you or feel like she's just there to do a job. Be chummy about it. You don't want to hate your makeup just to spare someone's feelings. 

• Options
    Thank you all so much, you are all so helpful! Turns out my FMIL didn't really care... Mary didn't take it so well but... c'est la vie! hahah
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards