Just Engaged and Proposals

Just engaged, where do I begin?

My boyfriend just proposed to me on the 17th while we were on vacation. I was definitely surprised, and completely overjoyed :) But I already feel in over my head! What do I do first?

He wants to have an engagement party, but I've heard it is custom to have it thrown for you or otherwise not at all. He's really excited and I don't want to put a damper on that. Any words of advice?

Re: Just engaged, where do I begin?

• First of all, congratulations! 

But, it is definitely side-eyed around here to throw your own shower of any sort, or to ask anyone to do it for you.

You're newly engaged so there's plenty of time for that though. Perhaps someone in your wedding party will want to throw one.

The best place to start is with a budget and a rough guest list. 

Have ya'll started to think of a date yet?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Here is what we did:

1. Talked about the kind of wedding we wanted
    2. Set a budget
    3. Made a potential guest list
    4. Started looking for venues to meet our numbers

Congrats and happy planning!

ETA: You should not throw your own engagement party, shower, or bachelorette/bachelor parties. Those parties are given for you by others if they offer. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thank you!

I would never ask anyone to throw anything! My boyfriend (fiancé, excuse me!) is just excited and said he wants to do everything, so I don't know how to tell him that haha. I'll just be gentle.

I'm thinking of September 2014. I've been peeking at a couple venues, we are probably going to take a look at a couple in the next two weeks.
  • I just got engaged in February. We set the date to be September 6th, 2014...the most perfect time for a wedding. First, just talk about what you want your wedding to be like, then start to create a budget for these things. 

It's so excting!!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards