Honeymoon Discussions

Trip Insurance?

For those of you that travel a lot, what are your thoughts on travel insurance? Is it necessary? Do you get it?

If you do, are there companies that you've had better experience with? Ones you'd recommend over others? Ones that have better rates?

I am thinking I want to get it for our honeymoon, but the rate our travel agent quoted us seemed high - howeverI have no reference. We are going to Australia/NZ for 14 days in February, and were quoted $309/person.
image 209 Invited
image 151 Yes
image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

Re: Trip Insurance?

• Trip insurance costs will depend on where you are going and what the trip cost is. I think $309pp sounds about right for NZ/Australia. When we got married in Australia, the insurance was creeping up toward $500pp. I do highly recommend purchasing it through the agent if you can, as it will then be something your agent can handle for you if you had to cancel or had an issue. If you purchase it on your own, check out insuremytrip.com. They will show a variety of plans and coverages and the costs. Be sure to try and look at plans that are similar to what your agent offered to see if its compatible. However, you may find that a lower cost policy meets your needs and then just book it on your own. I just like knowing the insurance came from the agent and they can handle your questions and concerns.

• i'm a pretty big supporter of trip insruance.

the premum is based on the cost of your trip and the insurance company and the coverages.

insuremytrip will let you compare side by side but, like any insurance, be sure you know and understand the terms, limits, conditions and exclusions.

• I used insuremytrip.com for a family cruise last year.  We didn't need to use it, but it was nice to have the coverage if something happened.

The biggest thing you need to have covered is trip interruption and cancellation (flights cancelled and you can't get to your destination) and medical coverage (most US plans to not cover out of country medical expenses).

I plan on getting insurance for our honeymoon since we will be flying during the winter months.  I dont' want to lose that investment.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • CMGr said:
    Yes, you absolutely need trip insurance!  Did you know that standard medical insurance is not accepted outside your country?  What if you have a medical emergency?  I had a friend who slipped and fell into a canyon, and her bills were $40,000!
    We have always used Travel Guard.  You can check their rates online.  This also covers missed flights, lost luggage.
    CMG some standard medical insurance does cover internationally. The insured person has to check and see what the situation with their own coverage is. My $20,000 appendectomy and 4 days in hospital in mexico in december were covered-but, as with any insurance used outside the country, it's on a reimbursement basis so make sure you bring an emergency CC to pay in the first place.

• We chose to not get trip insurance. I personally don't know of anyone who has ever gotten it for a trip due to the cost. However, I'm certainly not saying it's not a good idea to do so. It's just very pricey. 
  • We always do trip insurance for any big trips where a lot is booked ahead of time (we don't do it for small getaways/weekend getaways).

Last year we did a northern CA trip with a hotel + airfare package through Southwest. They offered trip insurance-cancel for any reason=for $99 total for both H and me. I thought it was a great deal and definitely worth it since we were spending over $3000 on hotel and airfare.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Follow up - we got the insurance through the travel agency. Thanks @Jells2dot0 for the comparison website.

The price they were offering was competitive and seemed to have a little better coverage.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Follow up - we got the insurance through the travel agency. Thanks @Jells2dot0 for the comparison website.

The price they were offering was competitive and seemed to have a little better coverage.

Yay!

• libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    We definitely got trip insurance, as we traveled to the Dominican Republic during hurricane season. Our trip insurance was less than $100 per person -- definitely worth the investment.  

While we didn't end up using the trip insurance, a hurricane did hit the other side of the island while we were there.  It only caused a bit of bad weather for us, but if it had hit just a little bit to the north, we would have been directly affected and likely needed to use trip insurance.  It just goes to show, you will never know when you need it, so it is probably worth getting it for your peace of mind, even if you don't end up using it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards