Attire & Accessories Forum

Men's Wedding Band

My fiance told me the other night when we were talking about the kind of wedding band I was looking for to not buy him an expensive band because he'd probably never wear it since he's a mechanic and then we both workout a lot too. So for him we wouldn't wear his ring all day cause he's at work for 6 AM and we finish at the gym around 6:30 every night. So he said it's pointless to buy him an expensive ring. I guess my question is, for those of you who have fiances/husbands who work in the same field or work in similar conditions, do they wear their rings at work or what kind of ring did you wind up getting for him? 

Re: Men's Wedding Band

• mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    My husband is an engineer and works in an office setting but still doesn't wear his ring everyday.

We got him two rings. The first one was a black tungsten one that we got for free through JVL jewelers and a white gold one for special occasions. If you're looking inexpensive and durable, look into the Titanium or tungsten. I really liked the ones we received. The only problem with these metals is that they cannot be re-sized.

• My FI is also an engineer. We got him a white gold band with a satin finish for two reasons: 1) white gold can easily be resized, and 2) he was worried (however justified) that if anything happened and his finger was swollen, medics would have a hard time cutting it off. We looked at it like this, if we're married 50 years, his ring (including warranty) only cost about $10/year.
    *********************************************************************************

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My FI is also an engineer. We got him a white gold band with a satin finish for two reasons: 1) white gold can easily be resized, and 2) he was worried (however justified) that if anything happened and his finger was swollen, medics would have a hard time cutting it off. We looked at it like this, if we're married 50 years, his ring (including warranty) only cost about $10/year.

Ditto this. My DH works in the auto industry. He wears his white gold band every day...and we have it refinished every 6-8 months.

Tungsten...while sturdy...can be super difficult to cut off in case of emergency.

• My father worked as a cabinet maker during the off-season of our family business. He chose to wear a 10k gold band for it's durability, and never removed it. Perhaps it is my own insecurity, but I've always found shiny rings effeminate, and really appreciated the patina his ring took on. Admittedly, I don't know if this was due to the lower gold content or the nature of his work (or both). Alternative metals are great for people with allergies, but not what I'd consider timeless looking.
  • My husband bought a tungsten one..It's only been a week or so, but so far so good! LOL

• DH has 3 bands all from overstock.com 1 is steel the other 2 are tungsten.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My husband is a mechanic and he had the same concerns too.  He ended up getting a Tungsten ring-which at first he was against for it could shatter, but when researching all the different metals and talking to other mechanics this was the lesser of evils and majority of his friends recommended it. And if it ever had to be cut off he has the equipment to do it.  We ended up getting a great deal ($60 for a memorial day sale) and this way if something would ever happen to it, we would not be out a lot of money.  I on the other hand would be sad since its his wedding band so it has some sentimental value, but guys just do not see it that way.  So I bought him the ring; we love the way it looks; and he is happy that is was not expensive.  He wears it every day at work since he typically is wearing gloves anyway; but we have a place he can keep it at the desk if he does need to remove it for safety reasons.

Anniversary
  • FI wont be able to wear his at work (he's a pilot) - so we're just doing a pretty basic gold ring and will refinish it as necessary. He was worried about having a stronger metal. 
  • WOW lol thanks so much for the information! I had no idea about tungsten bands, always thought about gold and white gold. I guess I'm a little too much a girl sometimes lol but it kind of saddened me to hear that he'd probably never his ring cause of his line of work and our hobby. I take my engagement ring off when I lift cause I don't want it to get scratched/damaged, etc. My dad was a mechanic for the longest and he had a gold wedding band and I'm pretty sure he wore his everyday to work, even when he'd go offshore to work on crewboats. I'm gonna ask him to be sure of that, though. But I'm definitely gonna look into tungsten rings for him. 
  • msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    My FI has a cobalt engagement ring, and a white gold wedding ring. But, he's an office guy. My father, on the other hand, has a traditional yellow gold ring and only wears it during special occasions. He's an electrician and got shocked less than a week after getting married.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards