Wedding Woes

Jesus people, please come in

A church that the Wooz and I pass on the way to school is advertising their upcoming "clown ministry."  Is this something you've experienced?  Is it as awful as it sounds?  (Disclaimer:  I'm one of those people who doesn't like clowns, so I may be biased.  Not terrified, but I would not go out of my way to see one.)  Google was not as helpful as I'd hoped--apparently clown ministry is not a big thing yet.  (Darn.)  Just very curious.

Re: Jesus people, please come in

• What in the fresh hell?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    That's something I'd run screaming from.

I hope DefConn's as afraid of clowns as I am.  Then I will have someone in my corner around here.  ;)
  • I have no idea what this is, and you know I am a Jesus person. My first thought was maybe a play on words to describe a church message about insincere ministers, but now I want to know.
  • My dad's wife punched a clown at Circus! Circus! once.  She has not always shown good judgment. 
  • Clowns are NEVER, EVER OK. I'd be more than a little embarrassed if my church started a clown ministry. But they wouldn't, because they know better. I'm sure of it.

Again, as on another thread, I'm reminded of the Bridezillas episode featuring Ivy, whose mother threatens to hire a clown for the reception.

*shivers*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It is something I've experienced ad it is about what you'd expect.

EVERY damn year, at the county fair, we'd run into Mrs. B (wife of a former pastor) being a clown.
    Because we were polite children and because my parents were...uh...themselves, EVERY year, for 40 minutes, at the county fair, we'd be herded into a fake noah's ark, where we were the kids used to lure other kids in for the clown and puppet show.
    I am going to see if I can scare up a picture....

This is the same Mrs. B who ran the 'eager beavers' club" through church and whose son caused no end of angst by being the stereotypical excessively jerky pastor's kid.
  • GBCK said:
    It is something I've experienced ad it is about what you'd expect.

EVERY damn year, at the county fair, we'd run into Mrs. B (wife of a former pastor) being a clown.
    Because we were polite children and because my parents were...uh...themselves, EVERY year, for 40 minutes, at the county fair, we'd be herded into a fake noah's ark, where we were the kids used to lure other kids in for the clown and puppet show.
    I am going to see if I can scare up a picture....

This is the same Mrs. B who ran the 'eager beavers' club" through church and whose son caused no end of angst by being the stereotypical excessively jerky pastor's kid.
     And THIS is why so many people don't like Jesus. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Now, I need H's Jesus pic that says, "You can't blame this on me."

• Now, I need H's Jesus pic that says, "You can't blame this on me."

Or, "I'm Jesus Christ and I do not approve this message."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I f-ing hate clowns.  
    I went to a Christian university, and we had a mime ministry.  It was creepy as h-e-double-hockey-sticks.
    And when I was in HS, I actually participated in a puppet ministry.  Hangs head in shame...
  • AuntFlo said:
    I f-ing hate clowns.  
    I went to a Christian university, and we had a mime ministry.  It was creepy as h-e-double-hockey-sticks.
    And when I was in HS, I actually participated in a puppet ministry.  Hangs head in shame...
    I don't think puppet ministries are so bad, but that's probably because I don't think puppets are creepy. Our church has one that's mostly active during children's church.

I just think, as a rule, that anything that has a reputation of being creepy, like clowns, shouldn't be used for ministry purposes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hmonkey said:
    Perfect.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes. That's it.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    I can't find a picture of Mrs. B in her clown get up--only in her normal clothes.

But, google makes me think these ministries are 90% the same.
  • 6fsn6fsn member

All I can think of is @zsa-zsastl and her hosting the ventriloquist.

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Ha! I am also waiting for Zsa to weigh in with the ventriloquist.

• Now all I can think of is a bleeding heart Jesus photo complete with clown makeup. 

*silent scream*
  • Oface4eva said:
    Now all I can think of is a bleeding heart Jesus photo complete with clown makeup. 

*silent scream*
    I think usually (hopefully!) they just dress like typical clowns.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Speaking of - did anyone follow @TheTweetofGod or @JesusNeedsNewPR during the tightrope thing? It was freaking hilarious. 

https://twitter.com/jesusneedsnewpr (actual forward-thinking christian person)

• I love @tweetofgod. I do not have anything nice to say about a clown ministry, so I'm not saying anything at all.

• DG1 said:

Speaking of - did anyone follow @TheTweetofGod or @JesusNeedsNewPR during the tightrope thing? It was freaking hilarious. 

https://twitter.com/jesusneedsnewpr (actual forward-thinking christian person)
    I love @JesusNeedsNewPR. I followed it on my old Twitter account and apparently haven't been doing so on my new one...until just now, that is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    This is also a grammar lesson.  I kept reading the title as "Jesus, people come in" as in wake up ww.
  • Churches are filled with people with terrible ideas about how to share the love of Jesus.  Ventriloquists and clowns are sent by the devil to infiltrate the flock and creep everyone the hell out. 

I was once at a church service where clowns came out and did a little act with a baby that you learned was supposed to be baby Jesus.  Then they unwrapped the "baby" to show that it was a loaf of bread and turned it into communion.  Get it?  The body of Christ?  I really wanted to squirt them all in the face with seltzer.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Churches are filled with people with terrible ideas about how to share the love of Jesus.  Ventriloquists and clowns are sent by the devil to infiltrate the flock and creep everyone the hell out. 

I was once at a church service where clowns came out and did a little act with a baby that you learned was supposed to be baby Jesus.  Then they unwrapped the "baby" to show that it was a loaf of bread and turned it into communion.  Get it?  The body of Christ?  I really wanted to squirt them all in the face with seltzer.

What denomination were these people affiliated with?! That's the most disgusting church story I've ever heard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh please. All churches denominations have their shows. I sat through a Hell's Gates Heaven's Doors (or something like that) production that involved a man coming out dressed as the devil, shaking a plastic baggie full of white powder and stating, "My salvation comes in little plastic bags". The friend who brought me, in an attempt to save my soul, though I was crying b/c I was touched. I was nice enough to not share that it was from the pain of holding in my laughter.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
  • I don't know what happened there. Sorry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards