Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Dilemma - PLEASE HELP :)

Hi brides - I am strongly considering one of two Maggie Sottero gowns (Giovanna or Courtney) that have corset backs. I love both of these gowns, but have my heart set on a zipper back with covered buttons. I was told by 2 different wedding dress shops that this is an easy switch for their seamstresses to make. However, I am nervous that it will compromise the fit of the gown. Has anyone made this alteration to a Maggie gown and, if so, what was your experience like?

Re: Dress Dilemma - PLEASE HELP :)

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Are you 100% sold on Maggie Sottero for any reason? Personally, that sounds like an alteration I wouldn't want to risk. It may be "easy" to add a zipper and buttons...but why? Both of those dresses are very common styles. Can you ask to try on dresses without corset backs?

• I was told when I ordered my Maggie sottero that it could be ordered with zipper/buttons. It wouldn't be a seamstress making that change. You may want to check with the store again.

I was shown my Maggie dress with the zipper back- someone else had ordered it that way- and it looked fine to me, but obviously I didn't try it on because it was someone else's dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• i tried on maggies and allures but did not love any of them the salon i went to said we dont alter maggies or allures only normal regular alterations for fittings. if you want custom stuff like sleeves straps or buttons and zippers added they come like that from the factory 
  • Have you actually tried both dresses on? If not, this is not an issue yet. You could decide you like it. If not, I'm not into doing overhaul things like that one a brand new dress. 
  • Definitely find out if you can order that way - I'd call Maggie's customer service directly or double check with another salon/vendor. Ask your salon how much this would cost... I don't see that being a quick, cheap addition.
    *********************************************************************************

• if you are going from a corset to a zipper/button back, you may have to order the dress in a larger size. I'm sure it can be done, but it sounds like a huge hassle and likely, expensive.  I might consider looking for a similar dress in a designer that already has zipper back.  Alfred Angelo will allow you to order most dresses in either corset or a button/zipper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards