Wedding Woes

I got shivers reading this.

Dear Prudie,
I have an older relative in his mid-40s, who is, for lack of a better term, a creeper. His mother was a wonderful woman with one huge blind spot: her youngest son. She babied him incessantly and supported him financially. He never moved out of her home, is socially stunted, and though friendly on the surface, can be a huge temper-tantrum-throwing man-boy. Unfortunately he also has a habit of stalking women. We’re not aware of any violence, but he will frequently fixate on a woman, usually a polite co-worker, waitress, store clerk, etc. He then drops by often and uninvited, brings little gifts, and talks constantly about this nonexistent relationship. When he is rebuffed, he will follow the woman after work until she complains to management, at which point he is fired or banned from the place of business. The family is at a loss as to what to do. After his mother died, the very first thing he did was change all the locks on her house and vehemently tell all family members that nobody was allowed on "his" property. Unwilling to make a fuss, everybody has respected this, and not a single person has even attempted to set foot in that house in over three years. Last week he was in an accident that shattered several bones. His sister rushed to the scene and his first words to her were, "If I have to stay in the hospital, I'd better not catch anybody in my house!" At the hospital, he asked for a phone charger and ear buds, and when his brother offered to pick them up at the house, he demanded a new set be purchased—and they were. He was told he could convalesce at home, which was made completely handicap-accessible for his mother, but he refused to have any family members or caregivers come there. So he is going to a rehab facility four hours away for several months. He has demanded his siblings purchase all new clothing and toiletries for him so they don’t go in the house. I have two questions: 1) What do we do about his behavior? 2) What are your thoughts on poking around his house while he's in rehab? His paranoia and the news about the Cleveland captives has me a little concerned that there is evidence of violence or really unhealthy obsession there or worse.

—Scared Kin

Re: I got shivers reading this.

• Wow.

How did Prudie respond?

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• ugh - this totally reminds me of that guy in Ohio who was holding those three women hostage for so long...   If I were his family, I'd definitely have to see what he's hiding...

even if there's nothing there, this guy is unhealthy and needs some mental health help...

• dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    At what point does this family actually man up and make a fuss? Manboy's life or someone else's could be at stake. Talk with police, Social services start establishing something or other. Or just say eff it, and get entry into the house while he's hospitalized or out.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Seriously? At minimum, an anonymous call to the police reporting suspicious activity in/around the house is on the table.

Me? I think this is a prime opportunity to break the hell in. I think the worst-case scenario there is that he disowns the breaker and enterer, which sounds kindof awesome, actually. 

Good lord. 

• I would be breaking into that house and hope that worst-case scenario is that he's a hoarder.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • *still waiting for Prudie's response*
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    For once, her answer was not absurd.

Dear Kin,
    Hearing your account it’s impossible not to wonder whether your relative’s home is another 2207 Seymour Avenue, the Cleveland house of horrors where Ariel Castro kept three women captive for a decade. In cases like Cleveland, the monsters hiding kidnap victims relied on the natural reluctance of people to force the issue, or the door, and inquire as to what was going on in the mysterious house with the unwelcome mat. Sure it’s more likely that your relative, who’s a disturbed and disturbing person, has simply filled the place with embarrassing memorabilia of his various obsessions that he doesn’t want anyone to see. But since your account is going to make the hair on the back of the neck of many readers stand on end, I agree with you that it’s important to find out what’s going on. Your late grandmother may have enabled and indulged her perpetual baby, but there is no reason for the rest of the family to quake at the idea of a Rumpelstiltskin-like fit from him. You notably put quotation marks around “his” property when referring to his mother’s house. Now that your relative is going away, this is a propitious time to clarify just who owns it. His siblings have to talk to a lawyer and find out the legal status of the property. They should also mention their concerns about his past behavior and his paranoia about anyone going inside. I hope it turns out his siblings have a clear right to enter and inspect the property. If so, call a locksmith, and once everyone’s in they should call out, “Is anybody here?” Look for locked doors and false fronts. I hope all you find are dust bunnies. As for trying to reform your relative, in the absence of his wanting to join the rest of his family in the real world, I don’t see that there’s much you can do to change his approach to life and romance. It’s kind of a miracle he hasn’t entered the criminal justice system, but for the sake of the innocent women who become his obsessions, his siblings should continue to keep a close eye on him. And carry an extra set of keys.

• Oh man.  I hope to hear a follow up, and hear that it's a good one and he was just hiding a massive spongebob collection.
  • Sorry, got caught up in work and then went on my lunch break.  ;) Thanks DG.
  • Oface4eva said:
    Oh man.  I hope to hear a follow up, and hear that it's a good one and he was just hiding a massive spongebob collection.
    Ditto. We need a follow-up, for sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would be calling the cops and report hearing screaming inside of a house while the owner is in the hospital.  Is that unethical to send the cops in there only on a hunch?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jarednmeganjarednmegan member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I would be calling the cops and report hearing screaming inside of a house while the owner is in the hospital.  Is that unethical to send the cops in there only on a hunch?
    I'm pretty sure they can't go inside without a search warrant unless they see or hear anything that requires them to bust the door down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She needs to get some chicken blood from the butcher and smear it on the door and then call.

• Nice touch how they blame the mom.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards