Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Certified Bartender

So a venue in Florida says they allow outside alcohol, but they require I certified bartender. I've bartended for the better part of a decade and know at least 2 dozen qualified bartenders I've worked with. However, not one of them is "certified." One restaurant did an alcohol certification course (How to check IDs) every six months and gave us a card. That was close to a decade ago. Is this what they need? Or actual school training? Anyone else run into this problem? I don't want to pay a caterer to give me a bartender when I have friends that I'd rather give the money to.

Re: Certified Bartender

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013

anon66456 said:
    So a venue in Florida says they allow outside alcohol, but they require I certified bartender. I've bartended for the better part of a decade and know at least 2 dozen qualified bartenders I've worked with. However, not one of them is "certified." One restaurant did an alcohol certification course (How to check IDs) every six months and gave us a card. That was close to a decade ago. Is this what they need? Or actual school training? Anyone else run into this problem? I don't want to pay a caterer to give me a bartender when I have friends that I'd rather give the money to.
    Pay the caterer to give you a bartender.  Your friends shouldn't have to work at your wedding.  

Even if they said they would do it (or you offered to pay), they may feel obligated and not be telling you the complete truth.  Let them enjoy your wedding!

• They most likely want someone with a state-certification (like the card you're describing which is honestly a huge racket in my state at least) and liability insurance.
  • They definitely mean a state-certified bartender. Either get one from the caterer or contact a local bartending school. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Exactly what @JoanE2012 said, through our caterer we hired two bartenders!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards