Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

groomsmen and fathers

We picked out the tuxes that our groomsmen will be wearing for the wedding and also that our dads will be wearing.  Our groomsmen will have gray vests. We decided on black vests and ties for our dads.  Should our dads be in the same color as the groomsmen? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: groomsmen and fathers

• Options
    What do your dads want to wear? Are they in the wedding party?

Our dads weren't part of the wedding party, so we didn't pick out their clothes or think they needed to match the GMs. My dad wore a gray suit he owned, FIL wore black slacks and a polo shirt, and the groomsmen wore tuxes. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    They told us to pick out something for them to wear, so we went with the same tux as the GM. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What you have planned sounds fine to me. 
  • Options
    Thanks Bunni!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If they asked, it's fine. It's when you require it, it's rude. My dad wants to wear the same thing as the BP, so he'll match my brother, so cool. 
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Our dads are in the same tuxes but charcoal vests instead of purple like the GM.
  • Options
    Black is correct, but you may wish to consider cummerbunds to further differentiate them from the wedding party. 
  • Options
    Why do the groomsmen have to be in black vests? I've never heard of that and only been to one wedding where the groomsmen were in black vests and that was because the wedding colors were black and pink.  Is this a rule that I am breaking? ( not that I am going to change the color but I am honestly curious because I have never heard of it!)  Hope that doesn't sound rude!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DincognitoDincognito member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
    No, as I said, black cummerbunds are equally acceptable, though arguably more suited to shawl collars than to peak lapels. That said, I'd say that only a small percentage of weddings I've seen recently adhere to these rules. It's a slippery slope though.
  • Options
    Oops, Dincognito, I was refering to Liatris who had mentioned that the vests should be the same color at the tuxes!! We are skipping cumberbunds because they had all said they would rather not wear them, and we don't want to force something that I know my fiance wouldn't want to wear haha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just to be a proper tux, the vests should match.

Some say colored vests look too prom-ish.

It's not at all uncommon to have vests that coordinate with the wedding colors (our gms wore blue vests and ties), and since it's an aesthetic thing that doesn't affect anyone's comfort, it's not a rule that I care about. My H picked his and the groomsmen attire, and they wore blue vests with black tuxes. They also wore tuxes at 4pm while I wore a tea-length dress, so we're going to tux hell anyway. 
  • Options
    our wedding party wore the charcoal tux from Men's Warehouse Vera Wang collection-- my husband wore the charcoal vest-- his groomsman wanted to wear the purple vest, so that is what they did.  My dad wanted to match the groomsman so he did.  They all looked great and the plum dresses my bridesmaids wore looked fabulous with the charcoal. 

The whole the tux should be black thing is one of those traditional etiquette stipulations that are hit or miss and quite frankly forgiven IMO-- are you hurting anyone by wearing a charcoal tuxedo?  Call it a suit if its that big of a deal, but unless you are hosting a black tie wedding I see no issue in wearing the charcoal tuxedo.  Our wedding party looked awesome in their tuxedo's and received so many compliments.  Our guests were hosted very well and no one as offended the guys wore charcoal instead of black. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    We have very dark gray vests so I think it won't be promish.. but I totally get what you are saying!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards