Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! - ivory or white dress?

I can't decide between white and ivory for my dress. I have fair skin, dark hair, some freckles and hazel eyes. The forums I've read have had contradicting suggestions for my colouring and now in need to take into account the fact that I will be wearing red shoes. Do red shoes work with ivory and does ivory work with my colouring? Anyone?

Re: Help! - ivory or white dress?

• Here's the best advice I got when it comes to dresses: It's the bride that makes the dress, not the dress that makes the bride. Don't worry about what you SHOULD do; go with what makes you FEEL good.

Personally, I wouldn't go in saying I wanted either color.  Try them both on and see what YOU like better on you. If you can find a style you really like in each color for comparison, even better. I am also very fair skinned and went with diamond white, which I think is a happy compromise between white and ivory. I also have red flowers on my shoes and they look great with the dress!

Good luck!
  • I had every intention of getting a white dress and they looked absolutely horrible on my skin tone. I ended up getting ivory instead and I'm carrying red flowers.  I think you need to try on both colors and see what looks better on you.
  • The bridal shop I got my dress in only had the dress I wanted in Ivory, so I took a chance and ordered it in white, as I really wanted to wear white. Received the dress last week, and it is fabulous. I have dark hair, green eyes, fair skin, so I worried the white would make me look too pale. But it was beautiful.
  • A couple bridal salons I went to recommended ivory for my complexion (olivey skin and dark hair) and I agreed ivory did tend to look better on me.  A friend of mine is very fair skinned and has dark hair and she went with white since she felt too washed out in ivory.  I'd just try on different shades and see what you end up liking once it's on.

And yes, I think red shoes will work just fine with ivory.  White and ivory are pretty similar so picking on or the other shouldn't really effect the other colors you choose for your wedding.  I'm going with a darker shade of ivory and it's still a very neutral base.
  • I can never tell the difference. Its not something I'd worry about. 
  • I'm dark skinned so I'm going with an ivory dress.  I think that the white is just too glaring with my dark brown skin and black hair.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    When I went to try on dresses, I thought I was trying on white, but everything was named ivory. The consultant went and grabbed me a white dress and it looked blue. There's not many true-white dresses any more. And light ivory is basically a softer white, which would go great with red shoes. Get a light ivory, your skin will thank you.

-blonde, fair skin with freckles. 
  • SBmini said:
    When I went to try on dresses, I thought I was trying on white, but everything was named ivory. The consultant went and grabbed me a white dress and it looked blue. There's not many true-white dresses any more. And light ivory is basically a softer white, which would go great with red shoes. Get a light ivory, your skin will thank you.

-blonde, fair skin with freckles. 

THIS. Exactly. I also couldn't tell that all the dresses were ivory (or a shade of off-white) until the consultant managed to find a white dress to hold up beside the other dresses. I also think that there aren't many true-white dresses anymore. 

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • There are about 50 billion different shades of white and ivory.  Nine times out of ten unless the bride tells me her dress isn't white, white then I can't tell the difference.

Also, the only time I know a dress is ivory is if it is a true dark ivory, other then that it just looks white to me.

As for your shoes, white or ivory, they are both neutral colors so red can go with either.

• I don't think I even bothered to look at what the designer named the color of the dresses I was trying on. Like others have said - what one designer calls ivory another will call creme or and another will call it cafe or whatever.

I found one that looked good and called it a day. Mine ended up being a light champagne color with ivory lace over it - most people will just call it white.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards