Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is BYOB for 4th of July Party acceptable?

My parents are letting me use their house/pool for a 4th of July party if I want to have one. In my circle of friends, it's the only pool we have access to this summer so everyone has indicated that they'd be very interested in coming if I do have the party.  

I am on a pretty tight budget though and I cannot afford to get beer, wine, etc. for everyone.   I can definitely swing the costs of hot dogs, fixings, snacks, watermelon, some desserts, etc. and I would do that, but otherwise the event would have to be BYOB or else I cannot afford to have it at all.   (A "dry" Fourth of July will not happen in this crowd). 

Is hosting what I've listed and asking people to BYOB cool?  In college our parties were always self-explanatorily BYOB... but is that something we should have grown out of?  

Re: Is BYOB for 4th of July Party acceptable?

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    For a back yard BBQ party it is fine.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you will be good.  Just let your friends know its BYOB.  Most parties with my friends, like the one you described, would be BYOB.
  • It's fine. Here's hoping you have good weather!
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I think it's fine. I always show up with an appetizer/dessert and something to drink... I'm horrified at how many people show up empty handed.
  • Totally fine.  In my crowd (twenties/thirties young professionals with a sprinkling of grad students) BBQs and parties always involve taking something along (so BYOB and a snack for game day; BYOB and flowers/chocolates for a dinner party; flowers/sweets for a cocktail party; BYOB and snacks/dessert for a BBQ).  Have fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd never show up empty handed to a backyard party so I think BYOB is definitely fine.
  • Most get-togethers I have been to like that are BYOB. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Definitely. I go to my aunt's house for the 4th every year and I wouldn't dream of showing up empty-handed, so it's totally okay to ask your friends, even, to pitch in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

White Knot

• In my circle this would be totally fine.  Whenever we have a big get-together, everyone always brings alcohol.  It isn't exactly BYOB, because some people bring hard liquor, some bring beer, and some bring wine, and we all just share.  But yeah, it is never up to the host to entirely provide beverages in our circle.  
  • It's casual, so it's totally fine. When FI and I have BBQs we'll buy a case of beer and a few big things of (cheap-ish) wine and let people know to bring anything that they'd specifically like as well, but we've also done the complete BYOB.
  • Yay! Good to know. The party will commence. 

• For this kind of party BYOB sounds fine.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

My circles always do BYOB.  Even if it's not an actual BYOB, most people bring a bottle of something anyway.

I too am appalled at those who show up empty-handed. Especially when they are the ones asking where the beer is and go for the most expensive brand at the party.

• we have to do BYOC this year because a bunch of our friends are bringing other friends or family.  I love having everyone over and we always have enough food for an army but we definitely won't have enough chairs!

• Definitely ok by my standards. The annual 4th of July party I go to is BYO Meat & Side and everyone shares what everyone else brought...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm late to the party but agree with PPs.  I don't expect a casual backyard BBQ to be a hosted event, and I would never show up empty-handed to one.
  • I always bring stuff to a casual backyard BBQ party. Drinks, potato salad, chips, whatever will help the hosts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards