Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Mexico All-Inclusive deal--WWYD?

Hi ladies!

J and I are just now (after being married two years) gearing up to plan and take our honeymoon. It feels weird to even call it that, but we need a vacation in the worst way. We put off going anywhere because I was laid off 3 months prior to the wedding and had just gotten a new job. He didn't have PTO available either, so we just said 'eventually' to the whole honeymoon idea. The time has come.

I am really only considering all-inclusive resorts in Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel or Cabo), and have been pricing everything out through every site imaginable. The other day, I found a site that was offering 5 nights in Cancun/Riviera Maya, all inclusive for $399 for 2 people. The resort looks amazing (Villa Del Palmar), but as I dig deeper I found out that this is a timeshare hotel and part of the discounted pricing is that you have to commit to a 90 minute timeshare presentation on the first day. In our case, this discounted price would save us over $400 for the whole vacation. Would you do it?

We attended a TS presentation before at a company in Richardson, and it wasn't too bad. I guess I feel bad because we would go into it with absolutely no intention of getting a timeshare there, but would be taking full advantage of the discounted rate.

Re: Mexico All-Inclusive deal--WWYD?

• I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all.  Yes, they're advertising the great rates to try to suck you in, but the sale of the timeshare still depends on their presentation.  H and I just recently enjoyed a few nights in San Antonio for a tiny sum and about two hours of our time touring a timeshare.  Enough people buy those things that they're really not losing any money or they couldn't afford the huge discounts.

I'd just make sure and really research the hotel they put you in.  The place they tried to put us in in SA looked like it hadn't been updated -- or cleaned -- since the 1970s.
    Anniversary

• I wouldn't do it but that's just me. Just be prepared to be firm and end the presentation after the required 90 minutes. Hotel has good reviews on Trip Advisor.
  • @professorscience The resort is about 3 years old, and looks pretty well maintained. The main complaint that I've seen on Trip Advisor is regarding how far away from Cancun this resort is (about 30 minutes, I suppose) and any trips by taxi are ridiculously expensive to go 'into town' or to the main hotel strip. I'm not really worried about that. What you said about so many people buying it makes total sense...I just don't want to feel guilty while I'm there. In order to be sure and stick to the 90 minute presentation, J and I will be making spa appointments scheduled 30 minutes after the presentation would end, just to make sure we get the heck out of there.

I'll be thinking of you and Andy on Friday!! I pray all goes well, and I can't wait to see pics!

• Eek! Stephie, I actually read that one last weekend in my flurry of research, but it sounds like this couple was already at the resort and were solicited to attend the presentation once they checked in and were promised either upgrades, spa treatments, or something else in return for attending. Since we would be paying in advance, there really wouldn't be anything for them to follow through with on the back end in terms of freebies for attending the presentation.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Actually some of that thread was positive so it's not all bad. That is a genius idea of making the spa appointment! Now you've got me reconsidering. :) And don't feel guilty--they are the ones that made the offer, there's nothing wrong with taking it.
  • I wouldn't worry about how far away it is from Cancun. In the few times we went to the Mayan Riviera, we have stayed 30+ minutes away each time and the only time it is an inconvenience is travel to/from the airport. We actually prefer Playa del Carmen and Cozumel to Cancun anyways. 
    Just a tip- this last time we booked a private airport transfer through ESL transfers ahead of time, and only spent 100$ round trip (50 minutes away from Cancun Airport) for just us (no waiting to drop other people off at other resorts).  
    The only thing about timeshares is that they might call every day and hound you after the tour. Just be prepared for it and don't let it ruin your time :) When we honeymooned (El Dorado Royale Casitas) we used my boss' timeshare (RCI). While we already had membership, they left a message daily about taking the tour for the upgraded status. A firm, no thanks, will do and we left it at that. 
    So excited for you guys to finally be taking your honeymoon trip!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards