Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is the necklace too much???

I need some honest opinions, as my friends and family are only telling me what they think I want to hear and the only one who I think would give me an honest opinion (FI) is not allowed to see...

I went for a fitting a few days ago and wanted to try on all my accessories to see what they look like with the dress (minus the veil, which I need my hair stylist to put on... birdcage with a heavy fascinator).

I LOVE the necklace! But is is to much with the dress? It's a little hard to see the details in the picture, but it really is stunning.  My mom bought it for me because she heard the disappointment in my voice when I said, "Forget it; it's a out of my budget." I've never been a "less is more" type of person, so a little over the top is fine with me and fits our Old Hollywood theme.  My sister said if the necklace was too much, it would have been the first thing she noticed when I walked out of the dressing room, and it wasn't. Mom and sister both love it. I do too, and I would almost feel guilty not wearing it. I just don't want to look gaudy! Thoughts? Opinions?  I appreciate your honesty!

Re: Is the necklace too much???

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I think it's too much.

I like the necklace and the dress very much...but not together.

• Options
    I think it's too much as well, and detracts from the detail on your dress. I would do a fabulous pair of earrings and leave your neckline bare. 
  • Options
    Just to add: it look a lot more chunky in the picture than in person; it's got a lot of open space as well.  Still, it may be a bit much.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

If your dress wasn't so heavily embellished, I'd obviously say go for it.

It looks like a bling explosion in the picture.

• Options
    I think it is too much.  But then again I am a "less is more" type person and truly hate any necklace with a wedding dress.

• Options

itzMS said:

If your dress wasn't so heavily embellished, I'd obviously say go for it.

It looks like a bling explosion in the picture.

HAHAHA oh, it's definitely not as blingy as it looks!  It's pretty simple; just big...  small crystals, some pearls, and open space... it's almost like a carving. But I definitely don't want to look like an over-blinged disaster on my big day!
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I don't dislike the necklace itself, but I agree that it takes away from your dress. If I was you, I'd want it to be about the dress, not the necklace.

I think you could rock the hell out of some blingy earrings though.

ETA: what about wearing it for the reception only?
  • Options
    PDKH said:
    I don't dislike the necklace itself, but I agree that it takes away from your dress. If I was you, I'd want it to be about the dress, not the necklace. I think you could rock the hell out of some blingy earrings though. ETA: what about wearing it for the reception only?
    That might be a good compromise; I'll definitely consider that; thanks!
  • Options
    Another point of view: It's too long. Try it as a choker so it doesn't interfere with the pretty sweetheart neckline.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the necklace. You look gorgeous in your dress though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be the dissenter. I love it and think it looks gorgeous.
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's a statement for sure. I think it is borderline. 

• Options
    Harry87 said:
    I will say that if you wear this necklace, don't get a bracelet and earrings should be really minimal. Otherwise the necklace is going to go from "statement" to "drag costume" really fast.
    HAHAHA I love drag queens, but I definitely don't want to look like I'm in costume!  I'm actually wearing earrings (small ones) and a bracelet (simple tennis bracelet that I'm borrowing from my mom) in the picture... sm

Thanks, all, for your opinions! Still not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I will wait and see which feels more like "me" on the day. 
  • Options

I had two options for my wedding and made the decision I think the morning off.

I have to agree with others, dress is beautiful, necklace is beautiful but not together. But I like the idea of adding it for reception to change things up some for the reception.

• Options
    I think its too much and it takes away from the wedding dress.
  • Options
    Its bold but if its your personality be to over the top I say go for it because its beautiful :)
  • Options
    I think it's too much as well.Your dress already has a ton of beautiful detail. I would go with something a little less glam. Maybe a simple pearl or single stone would look more elegant. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Another vote for the necklace being too much.  I'd skip the necklace altogether and go with some really nice earrings and maybe a bracelet.
  • Options
    The dress has a lot of detail and bling on it, and just BEGS for a classy simple necklace (like a single drop pearl).  Topping it with a loud necklace does cross into drag territory :(.

I like the idea of just wearing this particular necklace at the reception.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I personally feel that it is glamourous. To me it seems to bring out the bead work in the dress. For me this isn't too much as long as you keep the rest of the jewellery simple. 

It certainly goes with Old Hollywood and I think your mother would be proud for you to wear it, it is essentially the only occasion where it seems appropriate to wear a necklace like that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The necklace would be fine as a statement with a simple dress, but as it is it competes with the beadwork on your current dress.  I agree to go with blingy earrings and maybe a bracelet instead.
  • Options
    I think its awesome! it's your wedding, and it is the one day where you can wear whatever you want and be a princess, i say go for it!

• Options
    Yes too much....Both are too glamorous for each other...if one was more simple, it would be fine. But they are both beautiful.
    Exactly. 

I would skip wearing a necklace altogether and rock a pair of gorgeous drop earrings and a bracelet. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think its awesome! it's your wedding, and it is the one day where you can wear whatever you want and be a princess, i say go for it!

I wish these three words would die.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards