July 2013 Weddings
Options

fMil driving me crazy

How do you deal with pushy FMIL? FI & i are 15 days away from our wedding. Yesterday FMIL says to me "i'd like to have a girls get together the week of the wedding, so I can meet her daughter from England." I said sure but she says you can only invite your mom. I said since she wants all of her girls there (10) that I would like all of my girls there as well. Im talking my 2 aunts & 2 cousins. fMIl says well im not invitjng aunts. By this time i was fuming and said i would rather not have a get together if my girls cant come and left it at that. Was i wrong to get mad? I get so tired of hearing about the daughter from England i could scream. I feel she is making this all about her & her daughter and not about the wedding. If my family or friends were planning a girl get together they certainly would invite FI side as well. Ughhhh help

Re: fMil driving me crazy

• Options
    I would have wanted my family there as well.  I had a similar problem with our engagement party.  In the end I had to let her have her way since she was the one hosting.  Try to stay positive about it :)
  • Options
    I would also have wanted my family to be there too... however, if your FMIL is hosting this get-together (i.e. paying for everyone's meals) she may not want aunts there to keep the numbers down. She has tried to extend the olive branch by inviting your mom, but it seems like she may want some QT with you and the women on her side of the family which, IMO is totally fine. But to me, weddings are not just about the couple being married... they are about two families coming together and you joining FI's family, and FI joining yours. Anyway, I don't know the back story to this so my post is full of assumptions - sorry if it was not helpful. Just wanted to throw some things out there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards